Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Under-18s fall to defeat at Doncaster

31 January 2022


Report: Under-18s fall to defeat at Doncaster

31 January 2022

The Iron’s Under-18's side were unfortunately beaten 2-0 by Doncaster Rovers on Saturday morning, with two late goals sinking the academy outfit.

With extreme wind conditions playing a huge part throughout the encounter, the first chance of the game came on 18 minutes, as Rovers' number eight took aim from the edge of the penalty area, forcing Jake Balme into a smart save. 

Just three minutes later, the home team again came forward, with Doncaster’s number nine shooting over from 20 yards out. 

Ben Franklin was found unmarked from a corner soon after, with Jack Moore-Billam delivering superbly to find the midfielder, with the Iron number eight heading just over the bar. 

Moore-Billam again produced a fine delivery shortly after, this time finding Ben Pike unmarked at the back post, as his own headed effort unfortunately flashed just wide. 

Pike was then involved at the other end, as he denied Rovers' number 11 by blocking well following a swift move down the right. 

In the final action of the first half, Jamie Moore burst forward from the back and found Harrison Poulter delightfully, with the United striker denied the game's opening goal following a strong save from the Doncaster shot-stopper. 

As the second 45 minutes began at Cantley Park, Moore-Billam did well to win the Iron a free kick early on. As Poulter and Franklin both combined cleverly to find Tyrell Sellars-Fleming, who just couldn’t connect when it mattered most. 

Josh Robertson’s blushes were then spared shortly after, as his headed clearance cannoned back off the frame of the goal and out for a corner. 

Nat Wallace surged forward on the hour mark, as his wicked right footed delivery was once more narrowly missed by forward Sellars-Fleming. 

Balme’s goal frame was then left reverberating again, as an in-swinging free-kick bounced awkwardly in the six-yard area, before colliding with the post and dropping out for a goal-kick. 

But with just 15 minutes to go it was Doncaster who took the lead, as the number nine for the hosts finished well after the forward broke the offside trap to spring in behind.

And shortly after it was two, as again the number nine found the net, scoring both his own and his side’s second of the game. 

Robertson went narrowly close to reducing the deficit late on, but it was to be defeat on the day for the Iron academy outfit. 

Reflecting on the performance in South Yorkshire, academy manager Tony Daws began: "The conditions played a huge part throughout the contest and I also feel we missed two or three big chances in the first 45 minutes."

He continued: "We were superb last week against Rotherham United, and I was hoping we could of followed that up today with another win on the road."

With a few absentees from the starting XI on Saturday morning, Daws also praised Harry Lewis on his development this season, culminating in making his maiden start for the first team against Port Vale later that day. 

"It’s great to see so many of our lads making the step up to senior football, and none more so than Harry this season. We strive to give these boys a platform to go and play and everyone in the group is delighted to see him doing so well," concluded Daws.

Scunthorpe return to action on February 12th with a third consecutive EFL Youth Alliance away trip, this time to the West of Yorkshire, facing off against Huddersfield Town. 

IRON: Balme, Pike, Moore, Robertson, Strouther (Abraham, 62), Franklin, Moore-Billam, Wallace, Cribb, Sellars-Fleming (Burden, 85), Poulter.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account