United were beaten 1-0 at Bromley on Saturday afternoon.

The Iron entered the game making one change from the side beaten by Solihull Moors the previous week. George Taft came in for Kgosi Ntlhe in the only alteration.

Within the first two minutes, Harry Forster had an effort from range, with Colin Daniel throwing his body at the effort. The follow-up then went wide.

A minute later, Daniel sent in a cross from the left after work from Jacob Butterfield. The clearance was miscued and went out for the first corner of the game.

The hosts twice failed to clear the loose ball inside the penalty area as the Iron had two efforts blocked from close range. Boyce then went down under a challenge, but the referee was unmoved and the hosts cleared.

In the 12th minute there was a smart save from Marcus Dewhurst down to his left as he got across and grasped an effort from George Alexander from the edge of the box.

Two minutes later, there was a big chance for the Iron as Liam Feeney broke the offside trap down the right side. He cut the ball back inside the area to meet the run of Reagan Ogle, but the Iron right-back put his effort wide of the target.

Michael Cheek then had an effort from distance for the hosts, but a block saw the ball spin through to Dewhurst.

In the 22nd minute, Harry Forster cut in from the right onto his left foot and set an effort goalwards which was a comfortable save for Dewhurst.

Then, Reece Hannam was denied with a volley from Dewhurst who got down smartly to hold the effort.

In the 29th minute, there was a red card as Joe Nuttall was left on the floor and Chris Bush looked to have stamped on him right under the nose of the referee. Bromley are down to ten men. Soon after, the home side's assistant manager Alan Dunne was shown a red card following two quick bookings from the referee while voicing his discontent.

After 38 minutes, Jai Rowe sent a cross in from the right and had Reice Charles-Cook scrambling for a moment as it sailed over the bar and out for a goal kick.

On 41 minutes, the Iron charged down a clearance and the ball spun to Nuttall who saw an effort from 20 yards blocked.

At the other end, in the 43rd minute, Bromley’s Cheek sent the ball over the top of the bar from close range following a low cross in from the right side.

As the second half started, an early cross from the right from Corey Whitely was down the throat of Dewhurst who gathered.

Then, on 53 minutes, the hosts bundled the ball home from close range following a free-kick into the area, with Callum Reynolds credited with the goal.

A minute later, there were two Scunthorpe changes as Mason O'Malley and Marcus Carver came on for Colin Daniel and Alfie Beestin.

On 56 minutes, Jacob Butterfield received a throw from the right, let the ball run across his body and sent a left-footed half-volley wide of Charles-Cook’s right-hand post.

Soon after, Dan Gallimore spread play to Ogle on the right. He went direct and forced Reice Charles-Cook into a save at his near post before the ball was hooked clear for a corner, which was then dealt with by the hosts.

There was a final Iron change on 60 minutes as second year youth trainee Nathaniel Wallace came on to replace Rowe for his senior debut.

In the 66th minute, Taft sent in a second cross following Feeney’s delivery. Nuttall nodded the ball inside the six-yard box with Carver sending an effort over with his back to goal.

At the other end, Cheek then broke and dragged an effort across goal and wide with his left foot from the left side of the area.

With 72 minutes played, Wallace drove to the byline on the left and cut back. Andrew Boyce’s effort was blocked, with Nuttall, Gallimore and Butterfield all lining up. Play was recycled but the hosts were awarded a free-kick as O’Malley’s cross came in.

On 79 minutes, the hosts had another chance, which Ethan Coleman sent wide from the left side of the area.

As the Iron then attacked, Butterfield saw his shot blocked before he sent the ball out wide to Wallace, whose left wing cross was met by Ogle. However, the Australian's header cleared the crossbar.

United won a free-kick on the left side of the area, with penalty claims as Wallace was felled. Butterfield took, meeting Taft at the back post, but he sent his header into the side netting.

With two minutes left, Feeney drove down the right and sent a cross in for Wallace and Nuttall, with a back post header deflected over the crossbar.

There were seven minutes of stoppage time but the Iron couldn't make the breakthrough.

Scunthorpe return to action on Bank Holiday Monday when they host FC Halifax Town (3pm kick-off).

BROMLEY: Charles-Cook, Reynolds, Hannam, Bush, Sowunmi, Coleman, Cheek (Bloomfield, 71), Whitely, Forster, Vennings, Alexander (Arthurs, 61).

BROMLEY SUBS: Marriott, Dennis, Bradshaw.

IRON: Dewhurst, Ogle, Boyce, Feeney, Beestin (Carver, 54), Nuttall, Rowe (Wallace, 60), Taft, Butterfield, Daniel (O'Malley, 54), Gallimore.

IRON SUBS: Whitehouse, Fletcher.

ATTENDANCE: 2,018 (131 away).

Follow Us

Close navigation