Scunthorpe suffered a 4-0 defeat to Mansfield Town at the Sands Venue Stadium on Saturday.

Moments after kick-off, Joe Nuttall had a brilliant chance at goal from a whipped-in corner, with the striker's header just narrowly going wide of the post.

Seven minutes into the first-half, Mansfield responded with a chance of their own after Stephen McLaughlin curled an out swinging left-footed cross which found Jordan Bowery, who couldn’t get a proper connection with the ball as it skimmed off the player's head and out for a goal-kick.

Just before the 20-minute mark, Mansfield took the lead after a McLaughlin corner was lofted into the box, with both teams scrambling for the ball which found its way into the Iron net.

McLaughlin continued to stay a lively figure through the first 25 minutes as the away side went on a rampant counter-attack. He received the ball on the edge of the box but the player caught the wrong side of the ball and dragged his shot as it bobbled and went away from goal.

Mansfield doubled their lead through McLaughlin after he picked up a rebounded effort which fell to him in the centre of the box.

With five minutes left to play in the first half, Mansfield went three goals ahead when this time Ryan Stirk's low driven shot sneaked under Iron No.1 Rory Watson and into the back of the net.

Just before half-time, Scunthorpe had a chance of their own through Hayden Hackney, who drove his effort high over the bar as the midfielder couldn’t quite get over the ball.

Immediately after the second half got underway, Mansfield Town instantly went on the attack and Stephen Quinn fired a shot across goal with it ricocheting off the post and into the net to put the visitors four ahead.

At the other end, Sam Burns played in Liam Feeney down the left. The captain fired the ball across goal before he saw it cleared back to him. His second cross was caught by Nathan Bishop in goal.

Jack Moore-Billam came on for debutant Finley Shrimpton soon after, a week after his own EFL debut, while Lewis Young also came on for his first league appearance, replacing Harry Lewis.

On 72 minutes, Beestin drove down the right-hand side before crossing a ball into Feeney. The midfielder's shot was over the bar though. 

There were nine minutes of added time, but neither side could fashion any more opportunities.

Scunthorpe return to action when they visit Leyton Orient on Saturday.

IRON: Watson, Delaney, Nuttall, Rowe, Shrimpton (Moore-Billam, 55), Feeney, Hackney, Gallimore, Burns, Lewis (Young, 60), Grant (Beestin, 67).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Hallam, Pyke, Bunn.

MANSFIELD: Bishop, McLaughlin (Johnson, 45), Hewitt, Rawson, Bowery, Perch, Quinn (Law, 90), Stirk (Maris, 76), Akins, O’Toole, Longstaff.

MANSFIELD SUBS NOT USED: Stech, Hawkins, Wallace.


Follow Us

Close navigation