Scunthorpe were held to a 1-1 draw to Leyton Orient at the Sands Venue Stadium after a first half goal from Orient striker Aaron Drinan was cancelled out by Iron substitute Jake Scrimshaw in a hard-fought battle between the two sides.

After three minutes, an Aaron Jarvis flick-on was met by Alfie Beestin who volleyed a shot from the edge of the area but was blocked by the away defence.

In the 13th minute the away side had a chance on goal when the ball was fizzed into the box by full-back Tom James, which was met by a leaping Omar Beckles who made a strong connection with the ball but his headed effort went wide.

Drinan put the visitors ahead in the 20th minute after Hector Kyprianou found the forward in the box alone after getting in space behind the defence with the striker putting the ball in the far corner.

Four minutes later, Iron striker Ryan Loft had his long-range effort saved by a diving Lawrence Vigouroux as the ball looked to fly into the bottom corner.

Early in the second half, substitute Alex Perry found plenty of space on the edge of the area after Jarvis flicked the ball down, with Perry curling a shot at goal but he couldn’t keep it down as it headed over the bar.

Moments later, the away side had a good chance at goal after Dan Kemp’s cross goal effort just narrow went wide of the post.

The away side almost scored again minutes later after Drinan was through on goal but he scuffed his shot as it rolled towards Kieran O’Hara.

Four minutes after coming on, substitute Jake Scrimshaw levelled the game for Scunthorpe after Alfie Beestin sent a corner into the box which rebounded off players in the area and found Scrimshaw who slotted it home

Harry Smyth could have put the away side ahead after his driven shot went past O’Hara but bounced back off the post and into play.

Minutes later, Drinan launched a shot at goal after he got the ball on the edge of the area from a cleared corner. However, his effort kept went high above the bar and out for a goal-kick.

75 minutes of the game was played when substitute Paul Smyth found himself through on goal after running between the Iron centre-backs and fired a shot on goal but his shot went over the bar.

Perry again found himself in free space on the edge of the area with eleven minutes left, as he struck the ball at goal but went too far wide of the left post.  

Moments later the away side should of took the lead from a counter-attack after Smyth ran behind the defence and found himself one-on-one with O’Hara but his effort went wide of the far post.

IRON: O’Hara, Millen, O’Malley (Perry, 45), Kenyon (Rowe, 83) Taft, Onariase, Beestin, Loft (Scrimshaw, 60), Thompson, Jarvis, Pugh.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Green, Collins, Hackney, Hippolyte.

ORIENT: Vigouroux, James, Clay (Pratley, 79), Smith, Kemp (Smyth, 68), Archibald, Mitchell, Drinan, Beckles, Ogie, Kyprianou.

ORIENT SUBS NOT USED: Byrne, Wood, Happe, Thompson, Sotiriou.


Follow Us

Close navigation