Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Huddersfield Town U18s 1-3 Iron U18s

8 March 2021

Match Reports

Report: Huddersfield Town U18s 1-3 Iron U18s

8 March 2021

Joey Dawson added another two goals to his tally, while Dan Gallimore also notched a goal as the Iron won their penultimate game of the regular season away at Huddersfield Town on Saturday morning.

The side cemented second place in the Youth Alliance League going into their final game of the season in two weeks time when the Terriers visit the side in the reverse fixture.

It was a stronger line-up for the Iron than they'd been used to in recent weeks, with no trialists and only one Under-16 in the starting XI - Harrison Poulter - while only Finn Abraham on the bench was from the Under-15s.

Professional Phase Development Coach Steve Thornber said: "It was a really pleasing performance and we got back to winning ways against a very technically good Huddersfield Town side who keep the ball for fun.

"Overall, it was a really good three points and we kept a really good defensive shape against a side who probably had over 60% of the possession."

The Iron started the game the brighter and had their first chance after seven minutes when Harry Lewis shot wide of the target. Less than 60 seconds later, Lewis again fired wide following a dispossession and a swift counter-attack which almost resulted in the Iron taking the lead.

On 10 minutes, the home side had their first chance of the game, but their effort on goal went over the returning Ben Crosher's goal.

Four minutes later, Harrison Poulter slipped in Dawson who pulled the trigger but for a last ditch block from a defender. From the resultant corner, the Iron made the first contact, but the header went over the bar.

On 15 minutes, the Iron broke the deadlock, winning the ball back after pressing Huddersfield as they attempted to play the ball out from the back. Ben Franklin won possession before slotting through to Dawson who shot on the angle of the box, across the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net.

10 minutes later, Lewis was in the thick of things once more as he was brought down on the edge of the box for a free-kick. He got up to take the kick himself, whipping the ball over the wall, but straight at the Terriers goalkeeper for a comfortable save.

From there, Huddersfield had a few chances where they made space to go through on goal, but the Iron's defence were equal to the threat to nullify any potential danger.

United were always a threat on the counter-attack and had a couple of good chances as the half wore on, but weren't able to take one until the 34th minute when the side doubled their lead. Cam Wilson picked up the ball on the half way line before beating three Huddersfield players before cutting in from the left side. His shot from the edge of the box was well saved by the home shot stopper but Gallimore followed in to make it 2-0.

The Terriers fought for a goal to get them back in the game before half-time, and it came on the 41st minute when a cross from the left side was converted by the hosts at the far post.

Three minutes later, Crosher was needed to ensure Scunthorpe went in at the break ahead, as he blocked an effort shortly before the interval.

Huddersfield maintained their possession levels in the second half, but couldn't mount a clear cut attack as the Iron kept their good defensive shape, making some important blocks on the edge of the box.

On the hour mark, United re-established the two-goal advantage, once again winning the ball back before Dawson was threaded in on the edge of the box. He took one touch before cutting inside and curling the ball into the top corner of the net.

Ten minutes later, the Iron played a short corner to Dawson. He cut the ball back for Wilson who had a lot of the goal to aim at, but his effort went over the bar.

On 72 minutes, Oliver Lobley saw his effort tipped over by the goalkeeper while Ethan Young's header from the following corner brushed the top of the crossbar and went out of play for a goal kick.

With time running out, Wilson once again won the ball back and fed to Dawson, who was looking for another hat-trick. He drew the goalkeeper into a final smart save, but it was the Iron who went home with the points.

IRON: Crosher, Moore, Lobley, Kemp, Young, Gallimore, Franklin, Wilson, Poulter (Cribb, 54), Dawson, Lewis.

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Balme, Moore-Billam, Strouther, Abraham.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account