Scunthorpe United won their first three points of the season on Saturday against Carlisle United after Jordan Hallam broke the deadlock in the first half.

Three minutes into the game, Ryan Loft looked for an early chance against his former club. He knocked the ball past Aaron Hayden but fouled the defender.

Four minutes after, Lewis Spence was dragged down after a neat first touch, following pressure on the Carlisle back line. A free kick was given to the Iron but was cleared for a corner.

From this, the corner was headed clear before the cross was gathered by the Carlisle keeper after being put under pressure by Loft. 

13 minutes on the clock, another chance was created for the Iron. Tyler Cordner flicked on a throw with Frank Vincent after he saw a shot blocked before Spence’s attempt was deflected over.

On 17 minutes, a tremendous save was made from Rory Watson as he pushed Ethan Walker’s shot around the post before they had a chance to lead.

Three minutes later, the Iron were swift on the counter-attack as Alex Gilliead received the ball outside of the box before he fired wide of the target from 30 yards out.

27 minutes in, Watson saved a shot from Walker again. The ball was fired at the near post but Cordner fortunately cleared.

With 34 minutes played, Mason O’Malley overlapped down the left side and met the ball with a cross into Loft who collided with a Carlisle defender, which then went out for a goal kick to the visitors.

It was Jordan Hallam who broke the deadlock on 36 minutes. As he ran down the right side, he fired a low shot across goal, going past Paul Farman, following Gilliead's throughball.

On 48 minutes, Loft outmuscled a defender down the left side before he saw his cross was deflected behind for a corner. Myles Hippolyte then fired wide from the corner.

Spence and Hallam worked well together before Gilliead angled in a cross which was turned behind for a corner. Jacob Bedeau rose highest from the corner, but the ball went wide.

Three minutes after on 57 minutes, another superb save was made from Watson as a header went wide towards the target, but he pushed it out.

Then, there was great play from Loft on the nearside as he brushed past his man before he looked to play the ball to meet Hallam’s run. Paul Farman was out to slide in and gather it.

On 80 minutes, Carlisle's Walker came out with the ball on the edge of the box and curled in a shot across the goal, but the ball dropped wide.

Three minutes after, Hallam was slipped in on goal after a through ball by Alfie Beestin, but it was fired over.

Three minutes into added time, Hallam was fouled but the referee wasn’t interested. Loft was fouled soon after on the edge of the box and a free kick was given to the Iron.

Hippolyte took the free kick, but Farman beat the ball over for a corner.

IRON: Watson, Bedeau, Gilliead, Loft, Hippolyte, Hallam, Spence, Vincent (Beestin 78’), Cordner, Hornshaw (Butroid 88’), O’Malley (Onariase 75’).

UNUSED SUBS: Kelsey, Eisa, Green, Jarvis.

CARLISLE: Farman, Tanner (Hunt 85’), Anderton, Hayden, Guy (Devine 77’), Alessandra, Mellish, McDonald, Kayode, Furman (Riley 71’), Walker.

UNUSED SUBS: Dewhurst, Reilly, Charters, Bell.

Follow Us

Close navigation