The Iron Under-18s suffered an FA Youth Cup first round loss against Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Tuesday.

The first minute saw Ethan Young play the ball left to Harry Lewis, who crossed for Joey Dawson, with the home defence forced to head clear for a corner. However, the hosts headed clear from the corner.

On five minutes, there were four chances for the Iron in the space of 10 seconds. Harry Baker crossed, with Dawson powering a header goalwards. The ‘keeper made a fine save but the ball dropped under the crossbar. Virgo was following in but saw his header come back off the bar, before Dawson saw two more close range efforts blocked before the hosts scrambled clear.

Two minutes later, Grimsby had their first chance of the game as a ball down the left saw the forward go in space. He rolled an effort beyond Jake Balme, who had advanced off his line, but Oliver Kemp was back to slide off the line and concede a corner.

There was then a break in play straight after as Kemp collided with the post while making the intervention to prevent the goal and he had to be replaced by Oliver Lobley.

With 12 minutes played, there was a free-kick to Grimsby on the left channel following a foul by Jai Moore. Lobley headed clear before a shot was fired goalwards with Balme somehow clawing the ball from going beyond the goal line.

On 16 minutes, a free-kick was rolled to the Grimsby number five, who dragged a shot from 20-yards wide of the target.

Four minutes later, the referee played a good advantage as the Iron came forward again, with Virgo finding Baker down the right. He took one touch before firing a 25-yard effort narrowly over the bar.

Shortly after, Cameron Wilson and Baker interchanged down the right before the latter saw his cross cleared, but only as far as Wilson. He squared to Dawson, who tried to play himself into the area before he was intercepted.

The 27th minute saw a goal disallowed for the hosts. A free-kick was blocked by the wall, but the ball dropped for a Grimsby player who fired into the net. The offside flag was promptly raised.

After 33 minutes, Baker put in a neat ball to Dawson who controlled and turned into the area before forcing a corner. Lewis’ left-footed in-swinger then curled towards goal and cannoned back into play off the crossbar.

Seven minutes before the half-time break, Jack Moore-Billam strode forward 20-yards but was challenged on the edge of the box with a slide tackle sending the ball down the left before a long range effort was spilled by the home ‘keeper.

On 55 minutes, Wilson’s long range effort took a big deflection and spun into the area. Virgo and the home goalkeeper both chased the ball, with the Mariners shotstopper taking both the ball and the man.

Moments after, a long range effort from the hosts just cleared the top of the crossbar as Grimsby went forward for the first time in the second half.

After an hour, Wilson attacked through the half way line and slotted through to Virgo, with the midfielder clipped as he did so. The Grimsby ‘keeper claimed the pass though.

With 64 minutes played, the hosts were slipped in down the right but the shot on goal was into the side-netting with Balme covering his angles well.

Four minutes later, the hosts took the lead as a ball was played square across from the left on the edge of area, with the Grimsby number eight sending a first-time left-footed effort into the roof of the net.

A minute after, there was almost an immediate response as Dawson laid off to Baker. His cross searched for the head of Virgo and the ball dropped to Wilson, who controlled and placed his volley to the corner only for it to be pushed around the post.

Then, Virgo and Dawson both linked up on the edge of the box before the latter sent a 20-yard strike towards goal which the ‘keeper again beat away for a corner.

With 15 minutes remaining, Lobley found Lewis down the left and he cut inside before cushioning the ball to Dawson. He turned before curling an effort wide from 25-yards.

Three minutes later, the hosts had a left-footed effort go high and wide from the edge of the box.

In the 83rd minute, Wilson brought the ball a long way before finding Dan Gallimore square on the edge of the box. He slotted in Lewis down the left, before his low cross was gathered by the ‘keeper.

Just after, the hosts had a 25-yard low effort from their number 11 brush past Balme’s left-hand post.

As United searched for the levelling goal, the hosts doubled their lead as they played down the left before a square ball came to the penalty spot with the effort going low into the corner of the net.

IRON: Balme, Baker, Dawson, Gallimore, Kemp (Lobley, 10), Lewis, Moore-Billam (Elliott-Bell, 88), Virgo, Wilson, Young, Moore.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Crosher, Franklin.

Follow Us

Close navigation