Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Swindon Town 1-2 Iron

22 April 2017

United won 2-1 away at Swindon Town on Saturday afternoon, making it four league wins in a row.

Murray Wallace and substitute Sam Mantom both netted in either half, before Rohan Ince pulled a goal back for the hosts late on.

It's taken 14 attempts but the victory was United's first ever away at the County Ground.

The Iron went into the game unchanged from Monday’s 3-1 victory over Chesterfield at Glanford Park.

Graham Alexander’s men began quickly, and their enterprising start was rewarded on five minutes. A combination of unlikely sorts linked up for the goal, as David Mirfin turned smartly on the left flank, before picking out defensive partner Murray Wallace, who’d made a dart towards the near post. The Scot made no mistake either, as he powered home past Lawrence Vigouroux.

Aiming to capitalise on their early dominance, United pushed for a second. Vigouroux wasn’t to be beaten on this occasion however, with the Chilean getting down well to turn away a close range Josh Morris free-kick.

Morris was involved again soon after, this time racing through on goal following a throughball from captain Stephen Dawson. The winger then took one touch out of his feet, before lashing over with his right foot. 

The hosts created their first opening midway the half, as Ben Gladwin latched onto a cross-field pass. He couldn’t direct his subsequent header on target though, as Joe Anyon watched the effort sail over.

Scunthorpe were soon back on the front foot though, with the in-form Ivan Toney drawing a save out of Vigouroux, as the ball dropped in the penalty area after a corner from the right.

Opportunities continued to present themselves, and more specifically to Morris, who went even closer just prior to the interval. This time he did manage to beat Vigouroux, but he couldn’t beat the woodwork, as the ball crashed back into play.

A free-kick from Toney minutes later drew yet another save out of the Swindon ‘keeper, as the Iron went in ahead at the break.

After the restart, United flew out of the traps, with Paddy Madden steering a Morris cross from the left straight at Vigouroux.

It was then the turn of Anyon to make a save of his own, and a fine one to deny Jonathan Obika, whose long range effort took a deflection on route. 

More goalkeeping heroics from Vigouroux kept United’s lead to just one, as he somehow clawed away a shot from Toney 55 minutes in. The Newcastle loanee’s effort looked destined for the far right corner once he’d opened up his body, but a diving Robins ‘keeper thwarted him.

That second for the visitors did eventually arrive with 20 minutes left on the clock. Substitute Sam Mantom was the man who got it, as he latched onto a Morris pass before firing past Vigouroux from close range to put the Iron in a commanding position.

Not content with just a two goal lead, Scunthorpe pressed for more. They almost got a third through Madden, but he again met an inspired Swindon ‘keeper, with his 20-yard attempt being palmed to safety.

With just five minutes remaining however, the home side halved the deficit, as midfielder Rohan Ince crashed an unstoppable strike into the top corner from distance.

Joe Anyon was drawn into a late save, tipping over a header from Luke Norris following a corner for the hosts, but United held on for the 2-1 win.

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Thomas, Gladwin, Obika, Ajose, Colkett, Dabo, Ince, Conroy, Barry, Rossi-Branco (Brophy 61).
Substitutes not used: Henry, Ormonde-Ottewill, Rodgers, Goddard, Starkey, Norris.

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wiseman, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden, Morris, Bishop, Townsend, Toney, Ness.
Substitutes not used: Watson, van Veen, Toffolo, Mantom, Holmes, Davies, Sutton.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block