Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 September 2016

The Iron's U18 side defeated Hartlepool United 3-1 at Appleby-Frodingham on Friday afternoon.

Hartlepool put the hosts on the back foot and almost scored within seconds of the kick-off but the visitors' striker dragged his effort narrowly wide.

The home team had a chance on 16 minutes. James Dean Atkinson swung the free-kick in and Leslie Sackey headed into the sidenetting at the far post.

Hartlepool were having a lot of possession and the Iron's youngsters were working hard to stay in the game.

However, two minutes before half-time, the visitors deservedly took the lead.

United were exposed down the flank and, as the cross was cut back, Hartlepool slotted home.

The Iron responded but Dean Atkinson's turn and shot in the box could only find the goalkeeper's hands as the teams went in for the interval.

United made two changes at half-time, bringing on strikers David Allasan and George Barmby, who was returning after a long injury lay-off.

The changes sparked life and energy into the Iron and Barmby went through on the keeper within two minutes of the restart, however the second year striker's effort was saved. 

United pushed again and they made the breakthrough on 49 minutes when George Hornshaw was on hand to turn the ball home from Lewis McMichael's throw.

The iron looked a different team in the second half and really put the away team on the back foot, and deservedly took the lead on 54 minutes.

Barmby was through on the goalkeeper and this time his finish was clinical as he guided his effort into the back of the net, much to the delight of his team mates who celebrated as a team.

United continued with the pressure and perhaps should have scored again on 77 minutes when a delightful one-two between Nate Sithole and Dean Atkinson saw Sithole with the visitors' keeper to beat but his effort was saved.

Hartlepool made substitutions to get back into the game and were unlucky when giant striker Simpson headed against the Iron's crossbar.

The Iron made another change, bringing on Kyle Porter and within seconds it proved to be a good move when Barmby went into the Pools area, cleverly squared the ball back and Porter slotted home with his first touch since coming on.

The game ended with the Iron making it back-to-back wins after coming from behind for the second game in a row.

Academy Manager Tony Daws said: "We thought that we were well off what we are capable of producing in the first half, however in the second half our lads were top drawer again.

"We just need to start games in the same manner as we finish them.

"I must say well done to all of the lads, we showed terrific resilience and commitment to come back from a losing position and to go on and win the game.

"A big well done to Barms on scoring his first goal after his long injury."

Iron team: Kelsey, McMichael, Butroid, Sithole, Lilley, Sackey, Busey, Hornshaw (Bartholomew, 88), Dean Atkinson, Ablett (Barmby, 45), Train (Allasan, 45, Porter, 84).
Unused substitute: Richies.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block