Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Iron U18s edged out by Burton

21 March 2023


Iron U18s edged out by Burton

21 March 2023

The Iron Under-18s were beaten 2-0 by Burton Albion on Tuesday morning in the EFL Youth Alliance League, with the game taking place in Doncaster on the Eco-Power Stadium's 4G surface.

Harrison Poulter, Charley Strouther and Ethan Young all had chances throughout the 90 minutes but it was the Brewers who emerged victorious in South Yorkshire.

Goalkeeper Josh Murtagh was called into action in the early stages of the game, as Burton forward Dylan Scott found both time and space inside the area to take aim. Thankfully Murtagh was equal to his effort.

A loose pass in the midfield then enabled the visitors to spring an attack on the United defence, before the ball fell kindly to Ronny Wakelin, who prodded Albion ahead after 29 minutes played.

Some neat play from midfielder Josh Robertson set Ben Pike free to advance down the left soon after, as the defender charged into the penalty area. Perhaps caught in unfamiliar territory, Pike blasted his effort over the crossbar.

Scunthorpe had the heroics of Josh Cunningham to thank soon after, with Burton again coming forward in numbers, before Cunningham’s bravery at the back post stopped them from going two goals to the good, stopping an effort from trickling in on the line.

As the second half began there was an instant chance for the Iron to draw level, as Charlie Burden-Whittleton broke free in behind the Brewers defence, before hitting the side netting with his resulting effort.

United’s high-press was working in their favour as the second half ebbed on. This time Strouther’s header fell kindly to Lucas Dickinson, who in turn shot just wide of Kamil Dudek’s goal.

Defender Young then had two huge chances to level the game, as he was found unmarked from a corner on two separate occasions. His first header was a little too high as it sailed over the bar, before Harry Elliott-Bell couldn’t quite connect with his second effort that fell kindly to him.

A super ball over the top of the Burton defence then found Poulter as he looked to take matters into his own hands as the game trickled on. Appearing to be fouled by Dudek in the Albion goal, the referee waved play on much to the displeasure of the Iron bench.

Two subsequent chances then once again fell the way of Poulter with the game into the final 10 minutes in South Yorkshire. Attempting to lob the goalkeeper on both occasions, his efforts at goal both sailed over the bar.

Albion then grabbed a second with just minutes remaining, as the ball fell kindly to Charlie Knowles who doubled the visitors tally.

Following the final whistle in Doncaster, Professional Development Phase Coach Rob Watson said: "I thought the boys performed well in the second period, especially given how much of the ball we had and the chances we created.

"Harrison, Ethan and Charley all could have changed the outcome of the game but credit to Burton as they did what they needed to do in order to protect our lead.

"It was a gutsy performance and especially given the injuries we suffered across the 90 minutes, the boys performed to a high level but just couldn’t find that extra gear in front of goal to get us back into the game."

IRON: Murtagh; Cunningham, Elliott-Bell, Young, Pike; Robertson (Hill, 90), Moore-Billam (Abraham, 58), Burden-Whittleton, Strouther; Wallace (Dickinson, 45), Poulter.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account