Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Iron 1-1 Bromley

28 January 2023


Report: Iron 1-1 Bromley

28 January 2023

The Iron picked up a 1-1 draw against Bromley on Saturday afternoon, courtesy of an Elliott Whitehouse equaliser.

United came into the game having made no changes from Wednesday night’s fixture against FC Halifax Town. as Michael Nelson decided to stick with a winning team. Former Iron player Byron Webster returned to Glanford Park and he started at centre-back for the visitors. Bromley came into the game sitting in sixth position and in the play-offs. 
Cameron Wilson was the player to get the game underway. The first home game of a new era. Glanford Park had a buzz around it and the players looked ready.
The home side tried to get a foothold in the game straight away by attempting to keep the ball and by putting pressure on the away side.
The first chance of the game went to the Iron and more specifically Colin Daniel. Daniel found himself with a bit of time on the edge of the Bromley penalty area and he decided to take the shot on. He attempted to direct a left-footed effort towards the bottom corner but it lacked power and accuracy; it rolled straight to Reice Charles-Cook and it was an easy save for the Bromley goalkeeper to make.
Minutes later, Corey Whitely almost opened the scoring when he beat Reagan Ogle to a loose ball on the left-hand flank. Ogle got back in time but the winger cut inside of the full-back and unleashed a curling effort. He whipped the ball towards the far corner and it looked to be heading in. However, his effort went just inches wide of the target.
United created another big chance when Wilson took on several men inside the Bromley penalty area. His neat footwork allowed him to slide past his man and lay off Alfie Beestin. Beestin spotted an onrushing Mason O’Malley and he teed the ball up nicely for a first time shot for the Iron defender. He took that shot on and he saw his shot trickle past the right-hand upright. It was centimetres away from the target.
The Iron had chance after chance and they were putting a heap of pressure on the away side. Neat exchanges between Butterfield and Beestin created many opportunities on goal but Bromley were throwing bodies at the ball to keep the scores level.

Elliott Whitehouse was the next Iron player to test his luck on goal. He found himself around 30-yards-out from goal with space. He was laid off by his teammate and this set him up for a first time strike. He chose to go for power and this was the wrong option. His shot flew miles wide of the target and went out for a goal kick.
Throughout the remainder of the first half, United continued to pin Bromley back in their own half and create chances. The home side dominated the ball and this helped them create many chances. However, the visitors stood firm and they put their bodies on the line to prevent Scunthorpe from taking the lead. The teams went into the break level; United would have been disappointed that they didn’t grab the lead in that first half.
The visitors got the second half underway and they were looking to massively improve their performance from the first half. Reagan Ogle created another chance for United after he went on one of his trademark runs down the right-flank. He beat his man for pace and this allowed him to get into a crossing position. He spotted Beestin darting towards the penalty spot and he whipped the ball into the Iron midfielder. Ogle’s cross was pinpoint and it landed right on the head of Beestin. However, Beestin jumped too late and the ball skimmed off his head and the ball rolled away from danger. If he had anticipated the situation better then he may have had a clear chance on goal.
However, the first goal of the game went to the visitors. They got themselves into a good position within the Iron penalty area and the ball was drilled across the face of goal with some power. No one was there to clear the ball and Michael Cheek rushed in at the back post and had an open goal to aim at. From a couple of yards out, he simply tapped the ball home and put Bromley into the lead.
Kellen Fisher almost grabbed a second goal for the visitors after he won the ball off O'Malley and found himself with some free space to drive into. He drove at the Iron defence and they backed off and allowed Fisher the shot on goal. He struck an effort towards the target and it was deflected as an iron player got in the way of the shot. This changed the flight of the ball and it left Owen Foster with no chance if the ball went on target. Luckily, the ball went just wide of the upright. This was a key moment for United as it kept them in the game.
United had to push on to try and grab an equaliser and this left them vulnerable at the back as they had to commit men forward.
A neat exchange between Beestin and Wilson on the left-flank set Wilson free and he was able to direct a cross into the Bromley box. Daniel got on the end of the cross but he couldn’t get a good connection with the ball and it drifted away from the danger.
In the 84th minute, Elliott Whitehouse grabbed an equaliser for the Iron. Liam Feeney had really made an impact since his substitution and he was involved in the goal. He beat his man on the left flank and he attempted to find the far corner of the net with a curling effort. However, his effort turned more into a cross and it found its way through many bodies before it found its way to the feet of Whitehouse. The Iron midfielder controlled the ball and coolly slotted the ball past Charles-Cook from six-yards-out. It was a vital goal for the Iron.
A minute later, a second goal was almost grabbed by the Iron. Once again Wilson’s neat footwork worked him space to get the shot off. He struck the ball towards the bottom left corner with some power and Charles-Cook had to react quickly to get down and make an important save to deny the Iron a second goal. The momentum had shifted in the game. Besart Topalloj had a brilliant chance in extra time to snatch the three points for Bromley. He received the ball on the edge of the Iron area and turned; Immediately, when he turned, he got his shot off and it was flying towards the top corner. Foster was concerned but he was relieved to see the ball fly behind for a goal kick. Everyone in Glanford Park held their breath at this moment.

The game concluded one all. It was a vital point for the Iron in their quest to stay in the division.
IRON: Foster, Ogle, O’Malley (65’ Sellars-Fleming), Whitehouse, Boyce, Beestin, Taft, Butterfield (77’ Feeney), Wilson, Daniel, Pugh.

Rowe, Hallam, Gallimore.
BROMLEY: Charles-Cook, Bingham (74’ Arthurs), Sowunmi, Cheek, Dennis (78’ Forster), Webster, Whitely, Vennings, Topalloj, Krauhaus (46’ Kendall), Fisher.

BROMLEY SUBS NOT USED: Reynolds, Marriott

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account