Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-2 Oldham Athletic

10 April 2023

A 2–0 defeat against Oldham Athletic on Monday afternoon confirmed the Iron’s relegation to the National League North.

Jimmy Dean made five changes to the starting lineup. Mason O’Malley was recalled from his loan spell at Ilkeston Town and he was immediately named in the starting 11. Andrew Boyce also made a return to the side along with Jacob Butterfield, Richie Bennett and Dion Sembie-Ferris.

Within the opening minute, United got their first chance of the game. O’Malley was allowed space on the left flank and he was in a good position to cross into the penalty area. This is exactly what he did and Bennett was rushing in to meet the cross. He jumped to try and meet the ball but he was beaten to it by an Oldham defender and the ball was cleared away to safety. 

In the 10th minute, United created another great chance. The ball was directed into the area, by Danny Elliott, towards Bennett once again but the Iron striker was beaten to the ball. The visitors didn’t clear their lines and the ball fell nicely to Butterfield on the edge of the box. The Iron midfielder chose to hit the ball first time, on the half volley, and his striker had a lot of power behind it. However, it didn’t have the direction required and his effort flew past the upright and went out for a goal kick.

Elliott was the next Iron player to test their luck. He picked up the ball in the middle of the park, turned and drove towards goal. He was faced by several defenders but he managed to skip past one and find a bit of space to take on the shot. From the edge of the area, he curled an effort towards the top-left corner of Magnus Norman’s goal. His effort looked to be heading on target and Norman was worried. However, the shot went just inches over the bar. It was another great opportunity for the Iron.

The first yellow card of the game made its way to Liam Hogan after he made a rash challenge on Elliott. Elliott skipped past Hogan before he was wiped out by the defender. His tackle was high and late and this made it an easy decision for the referee to make.

In the 30th minute, Elliott was involved again and he tried a shot on goal once more. Once again he was given time and space as the defence backed off. However, he dragged his effort wide of the target.

Minutes later, the visitors took the lead in the game. The United dominance hadn’t paid off and Oldham took the lead. Devarn Green received the ball inside the penalty area, took a touch and then coolly slotted the ball past Tom Billson to put Oldham a goal up.

Will Smith had a great chance to put the Iron level in the 42nd minute. The Iron centre-back was unmarked inside the area. Bennett spotted him and threaded a pass through the Oldham defenders to him. Smith found himself in a one-on-one situation with Norman and, from close range, he drilled a shot along the ground and towards the bottom corner. Norman reacted quickly, got down to his left and made a strong save to deny the Iron an equaliser.

At the start of the second half, John Rooney attempted to double the visitors' advantage early in the second half. He took a shot from distance but his effort had too much power and it blazed over the bar.

Sembie-Ferris earnt the Iron a freekick in a dangerous position after he beat several defenders and was eventually brought down on the edge of the area. Butterfield took the responsibility but he couldn’t manage to lift his effort over the wall and his shot was deflected wide of the target.

United had the momentum once again and Butterfield managed to create another chance for the home side. He picked up the ball in a wide area and crossed into the box. Bennett was unmarked and he managed to bring the ball down. He was about to get his shot away when the assistant’s flag went up. The Iron striker was deemed to be offside. If Bennett had stayed onside there would have been an excellent chance for him to get a shot away and potentially grab the equaliser.

In the 77th minute, Oldham earnt themselves a penalty. Billson rushed off his line to try and claim the ball but substitute Bassala Sambou got there first and touched the ball past the Iron goalkeeper. Billson brought Sambou down in the process and immediately the referee pointed to the spot. Sambou stepped up to take the penalty and he slotted the ball straight down the middle. Billson guessed wrong and Oldham found themselves with a two goal lead.

United now had a lot of work to do to get back into this game. In the closing minutes, Scunthorpe had a penalty shout. Marcus Carver flicked the ball up and it appeared to strike an Oldham defender’s hand. There were appeals from the United players but the referee waved play on.

The hosts continued to try and search for a goal but the visitors defended well and nullified the United threat.

In the final minute, substitute Cameron Wilson picked up the ball on the edge of the Oldham penalty area and he found himself with time and space. Therefore, he chose to take on the shot. He wrapped his foot around the ball and attempted to find the top corner. However, his effort was inches wide and the scores stayed as they were. It was a great effort from the United winger.

Then, the referee brought proceedings to a close and the game finished 2-0. 

IRON: Billson, Ogle, O’Malley (Carver, 72), Elliott, Boyce, Butterfield, Shrimpton, Leake, Sembie-Ferris (Wilson, 64), Smith, Bennett.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Feeney, Richards-Everton, Shields.

OLDHAM: Norman, Hogan (P. Clarke, 69), Sheron, Green, Shelton, Rooney, Reid (Chapman, 73), Kitching, Sutton, Yarney, Nuttall (Sambou, 17).


ATTENDANCE: 3,754 (958 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account