Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Altrincham 2-2 Iron

13 September 2022

Match Reports

Report: Altrincham 2-2 Iron

13 September 2022

United picked up a point on the road away at Altrincham FC on Tuesday in a 2-2 draw, fighting back from 1-0 down to a 2-1 lead before conceding late.

Elliott Whitehouse won the Iron’s first corner of the game after just a minute, with the following cleared and countered on by Altrincham. 

The game was then early halted, with floodlight failure putting a stop to the match after just three minutes. The game re-started after a seven-minute delay.

In the 12th minute, Reagan Ogle linked up with new signing Aiden Marsh with a one-two. The following in-swinging cross by Ogle was shielded out by the Altrincham defence.

Altrincham’s Eddie Jones was the first player into the referee’s book after 19 minutes. Robert Apter knocked the ball past his man before being hauled into by Jones. Butterfield sent the subsequent free-kick into the area, which was latched onto by George Taft, but the defender glanced it wide of the post.

Ryan Colclough was then brought down by the Iron minutes later. The free-kick was swung in towards the far post where Robins’ captain Toby Mullarkey struck a close range effort over the bar.

Ross Barrows then got Altrincham going down the right-hand side. A low cross hit towards the six-yard box was intercepted by George Taft, with the resulting corner wayward.

In the 27th minute, Apter looked to get the Iron going with a from distance shot deflected out for a corner. Nuttall met with Butterfield’s cross at the near post, after making the run towards it, but the header was guided wide of the target.

Apter looked again to create in the 32nd minute, forcing goalkeeper Ollie Byrne to palm his effort over the bar.

Butterfield was on defensive duties in the 39th minute, sliding in to prevent Osborne from creating space to shoot from the edge of the area. At the expense of a corner though, which wasscrambled to within a couple of yards from goal, with Dewhurst making the save before gathering the loose ball.

In the 43rd minute, patient build-up play involving Fletcher, Whitehouse and Marsh who all looked for shots at goal, with the latter seeing his deflected behind for a corner. Butterfield then sent in a low delivery as a follow-up to his cleared corner, which resulted in an attacking throw down the left. 

In the fourth minute of added time (of eight added), Osborne slotted home a rebounded shot after an impressive save from range from Dewhurst initially.

In the 50th minute, Butterfield drew a save from ‘keeper Byrne after a long-range effort bounced upwards towards the shot-stopper.

In the 54th minute, Whitehouse chested down a clearance around the edge of the box before sending a left-footed half-volley wide of the target.

Dewhurst kept the game level in the 64th minute, he made a superb save to deny a certain goal at one end.

The Iron then broke with pace with Apter cutting the ball back to Butterfield, who side-footed into the net for a 65th minute equaliser.

With the Iron applying all the pressure following the goal, the turnaround was completed in the 69th minute.

Apter sent his shot into the air, and Beestin was subsequentlyupended in the area, where the referee pointed to the spot. Nuttall stepped up and converted for his fifth goal of the season.

In the 79th minute, Altrincham carved an opening which was glanced to the back post and chested down by Osborne, but the effort was drilled just over the bar

Altrincham levelled the game in the 81st minute, with Colclough steering home from close range.

Colclough became creator again for Altrincham in the 84th minute, attempting a back heel from 12 yards out following a low cross from the right but it rolled wide of the mark.

Scunthorpe return to action on Saturday when they host York City at Glanford Park (3pm kick-off).

ALTRINCHAM: Byrne, Jones, Mullarkey, Lundstram, Osborne, Colclough, Conn-Clarke (Kaja, 70), Barrows, Jones, Dinaga, Malone.

UNUSED SUBS: Brockbank, Jackson, Cooper, Bennett.

IRON: Dewhurst, Ogle, Whitehouse, Boyce, Nuttall, Taft, Butterfield, Apter (O’Malley, 75), Fletcher (Beestin, 61), Gallimore, Marsh (Feeney, 61).

UNUSED SUBS: Foster, Rowe.

ATTENDANCE: 1,368 (202 Iron fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account