Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Torquay United 1-1 Iron

1 October 2022

Match Reports

Report: Torquay United 1-1 Iron

1 October 2022

The Iron picked up a point on the road away at Torquay United on Saturday in a 1-1 draw, making it four unbeaten now for Tony Daws' side.

The interim first team manager made one change from the side which started the game against Dorking Wanderers, with Caolan Lavery starting in place of the injured Aiden Marsh.

United earnt a free-kick after just two minutes. Midfielder Jacob Butterfield stepped up to float the ball in, which was cleared by Torquay towards Alfie Beestin who was swiftly crowded out.

Torquay United struck first in the fourth minute. Dan Martin raced into the left-hand side of the box before dispatching his shot and giving the hosts the lead early on.

Back-to-back corners then followed in favour of the hosts just minutes later. Marcus Dewhurst dealt with a wind-assisted cross from the right firstly. Former Iron attacker Aaron Jarvisthen won first contact before captain Andrew Boyce headedbehind for another corner which was followed up with a JoeNuttall and Boyce clearance.

Beestin then began a United move in the 13th minute. A ball played down the left was met with by Caolan Lavery, who’scross was headed away before Butterfield controlled the clearance but saw his following left-footed volley blocked. 

In the 20th minute, Nuttall and Lavery both do well, with the ball chested down for Rob Apter. The winger saw his deflected shot go behind for a corner. Nuttall then rose highest from Butterfield’s corner, but the effort was wide.

Jarvis soon saw himself slotted in by Torquay on the right in the 28th minute. The striker took aim but a smart save with his feet by Dewhurst denied The Gulls a second.

Jai Rowe then threw himself at an incoming shot from Dean Moxey a minute later, with Dewhurst claiming a later cross into the area.

In the 37th minute, Lavery challenged Torquay goalkeeper Mark Halstead and won the ball. Lavery twice goes down inside the box, the second of which a shout for a penalty, but the referee stops play because Halstead stayed down.

Lavery was again involved in the action two minutes later. Butterfield’s touch and pass set Apter on his way. He drove on before slipping in Lavery, who’s shot is turned behind for a corner.

On the stroke of half time, both Apter and Beestin produced shots in quick succession for the Iron, both of which were denied.

In the 49th minute, the Iron found the back of the net to tie the game through birthday boy Beestin. Apter was given too much time and space in the box. His shot was blocked but the ball set up beautifully for Beestin to crash home a volley from 12 yards.

Torquay looked to strike back swiftly though, when a 51stminute shot by Will Goodwin was smartly denied by Dewhurst, who did well to get down to his right.

The Iron looked to have a second goal in the 55th minute. Beestin started the move, in down the left-hand side, where a cut back from the midfielder landed at the feet of Nuttall. His first-time shot was saved but the ball looped towards goal and subsequently cleared off the line.

Nuttall, again, was at the forefront of the Iron’s chances. A corner in the 57th minute for United after Apter and Rowe combined to force an error. Nuttall rose highest to the Butterfield delivery, but the header crept just wide of the post.

The woodwork was soon struck five minutes later by the Iron. Beestin angled his effort goalwards, Halstead got a small touch on the ball, and the ball cannoned back into play off the post. Mason O’Malley stormed in for the rebound and is brought down but the referee doesn’t signal for a penalty.

A ball played over the top by the Iron in the 77th minute was latched onto by Lavery. The attacker then looked to check back inside of the penalty area to tee up Apter, but the hosts get to it and clear as the Iron continued to apply pressure.

In the 85th minute, Apter stabbed an effort which flew over the bar. Nuttall forced a header back into space from the home defence, which allowed Apter to pick up the ball and drive to create the chance.

Two minutes later, former Iron attacker Jarvis again looked to cause trouble. A header from the forward was flashed towards goal, but it cleared the bar and dipped onto the top of the net.

In the 90+3rd minute, of five added, a superb stop from Torquay ‘keeper Halstead kept the score level. Apter droveinto the box and then squared for Nuttall, the Iron striker sawhis powerful effort saved.

A minute later, pressure from the Iron forced a corner out of Torquay. George Taft headed towards goal, the ‘keeper is beaten, but the ball is cleared off the line. Ogle then saw his follow-up header saved by the goalkeeper.

Scunthorpe return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Oldham Athletic’s Boundary Park (7.45pm kick-off).

TORQUAY: Halstead, Crowe (46’ Wyatt), Martin, Lapslie(78’ McGavin), Omar, Marshall, Jarvis, Evans, Goodwin, Moxey ©, Smith.UNUSED SUBS: Donnellan, Lovett, Tomlinson.IRON: Dewhurst, Ogle, O’Malley, Boyce ©, Beestin (90’ Whitehouse), Nuttall, Rowe, Lavery, Taft, Butterfield (70’ Pugh), Apter. 

UNUSED SUBS: Foster, Wilson, Ntlhe.

ATTENDANCE: 2,111 (116 Iron fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account