The Iron were beaten 3-0 away at Southend United on Saturday.

Interim first team manager Tony Daws made five changes going into the game, as George Taft, Jacob Butterfield, Colin Daniel, Rob Apter and Tom Pugh came in for Jai Rowe, Caolan Lavery, Tom Pugh, Dan Gallimore and Alfie Beestin.

In the early stages, the Iron dealt with a couple of balls into the area from the left side, with Daniel comfortably allowing the ball to sail over his head and out of play for a goal kick.

On nine minutes, Jake Hyde headed over for the hosts following a left-winged throw-in and subsequent cross.

Then, from the right side of the area, Callum Powell chested down a dink into him inside the area before turning and rolling an effort across goal and wide of the target.

There were then a number of Southend corners which the Iron successfully dealt with.

On 27 minutes, Powell cut in on the left, checked outside the penalty area and wrapped his foot around the ball for a right-footed shot which went wide of the target.

Then, as the pressure continued, Boyce threw himself at an incoming shot from Jack Bridge to send the ball around the post for a corner.

From that, Joe Nuttall headed away the corner and the Iron broke with pace. Apter, Butterfield and Nuttall were all involved which culminated in the latter sending a low cross in for Butterfield, but the midfielder couldn't get on the end of it.

After 31 minutes, Powell took a chance and went to ground in the area under minimal contact from Daniel. A goal kick was given, with Tony Daws asking the fourth official why Powell wasn’t cautioned for simulation.

Then, Taft intercepted and played out from the back, slipping into Reagan Ogle. He drove on before Apter sent in a cross. Nuttall won the header, but Elliott Whitehouse couldn't connect with the loose ball.

The hosts went ahead with 36 minutes gone as Wesley Fonguck controlled on the edge of the box and fired in a low shot, which took a deflection and ended up nestling in the corner of the net.

Four minutes after, Whitehouse charged down a shot from Fonguck before Kacper Lopata had a go from range, with the effort flying over.

A minute before half-time, Marcus Dewhurst denied Noor Husin after the Southend player received the ball on the edge of the box from the left.

Southend started the second period with intent, and Ogle cleared a dangerous ball into the six-yard box from the right before a further low cross was hooked away.

The Shrimpers then made it two, as Jake Hyde was played through, rounded Dewhurst and slotted into the net.

There was a first Iron change in the 52nd minute, as Lavery came on for Whitehouse.

With 57 minutes played, as United looked to fight their way back into the game, a long throw from Ogle caused trouble to the Southend backline, with a missed header dropping to Apter. He cut inside but saw his shot blocked.

Soon after, Dewhurst made a low save to deny the hosts a third before Pugh hooked the loose ball away.

With 68 minutes played, Ollie Kensdale stabbed an effort goalwards, but there was an Iron player in the way to deflect the effort over the bar. The latest corner was headed away by Daniel and cleared by Lavery.

United made a further change in the 69th minute when Daniel was replaced by Rowe.

In the 73rd minute, Hyde rolled in a third from close range following a low cross from the left.

Ten minutes later, Dewhurst was forced into a save from a looping header as the home side threatened to add to their lead.

Scunthorpe return to action on Tuesday night when they host Gateshead.

SOUTHEND: Andeng Ndi, Morriss, Hobson, Kensdale, Bridge, Husin, Powell (Wreh, 69), Miley, Fonguck (Taylor, 73), Lopata, Hyde (Murphy, 87).


IRON: Dewhurst, Ogle, Whitehouse (Lavery, 52), Boyce, Nuttall, Taft, Butterfield, Daniel (Rowe, 69), Ntlhe, Apter, Pugh.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Foster, Young, Wilson.

ATTENDANCE: 5,842 (114 away).

Follow Us

Close navigation