Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Leyton Orient 3-0 Iron

15 April 2022

United were beaten 3-0 by Leyton Orient at the Breyer Group Stadium on Friday, with the defeat confirming relegation to the National League.

The Iron entered the match making four changes from the side that faced Mansfield Town a week earlier, as Alfie Beestin, Rekeil Pyke, Tyrese Sinclair and Ethan Young came in for Joe Nuttall, Finley Shrimpton, Harry Lewis and Sam Burns.

In the early stages, Dan Gallimore intercepted a loose pass and found Hayden Hackney in the centre of the pitch. Beestin made the run through but was cynically pulled down, which was missed by the referee. The Iron went right with Feeney instead as a result, but Orient got the ball cleared.

With six minutes played, Sinclair intercepted a give-and-go into the Iron penalty area and looked to send Beestin down the right channel, but it was well read by the home defence.

After a quiet start to the game, Orient's Paul Smyth strode into the area from the right side and drilled the hosts into the lead on 16 minutes.

At the other end, shortly after, Watson pinged a quick free-kick out wide to Sinclair, who won the aerial battle and latched onto the loose ball before fizzing a low cross across the box. Pyke came sliding in at the far post and put his effort just wide.

Then, Pyke got into space down the left and looked to skip past Beckles, who was the last defender, but the Orient skipper got a touch on the ball and put it out for a throw.

With 24 minutes gone, Theo Archibald doubled the lead as he was fed the ball on the right, cut inside onto his left and bent the ball into the far corner.

Six minutes later, Ruel Sotiriou added a third as he connected with a right-wing cross, on the left side of the area, and sent the ball in off the post.

After 33 minutes, Hackney drove forward and fed Feeney. He worked in a cross, with Adam Thompson heading away under pressure from Pyke.

Watson then saved from Smyth, as he directed a shot goalwards from 20 yards.

Shortly after, Sinclair and Hackney both worked down the right to earn a corner. Feeney’s cross saw Ryan Delaney connect, but his effort went wide of Lawrence Vigouroux’s right-hand pitch.

Pyke then intercepted a loose pass and slotted Hackney in centrally, with his effort from 25-yards curling wide of the target.

Just before the half-time break, Feeney played the ball across from the right, with Pyke just failing to get a real connection to it.

Soon after, following a corner being played short, Sinclair's right-wing cross was gathered by Vigouroux.

There was a double Scunthorpe change at the interval as Luke Matheson and Jack Moore-Billam came on for Hackney and Grant.

The 47th minute saw a chance for the Iron as Feeney was denied by a good stop by Vigouroux low to his right following a couple of good touches in and around the box.

A minute later, two or three Iron players were hauled to the ground in the penalty area, with Rowe pulled off the ball. No penalty was given and Vigouroux gathered the loose ball.

At the other end, Sotiriou drilled an effort across goal and back into play off the upright, with Watson gathering the rebound down to his right.

On 54 minutes, Moore-Billam did well to wriggle free of a foul with the ball and found Sinclair. He angled in a cross for Beestin, who sent his header just wide.

Soon after, Watson denied Archibald from close range after the Orient number 11 found space inside the box.

In the 63rd minute, Sinclair swung a ball into the area from the left that the home goalkeeper got to.

Two minutes later, Kyprianou latched onto a cutback from the right, but sent his effort onto the crossbar and back into play.

With 69 minutes played, home substitute Harry Smith crashed an effort off the bar from 12 yards before Smyth sent a long range effort wide.

With 74 minutes gone, Pyke wriggled free with the ball before slotting in Feeney, who drilled an effort over the bar.

With 15 minutes left, Cameron Wilson came on for Sinclair, as United made their final change of the afternoon.

Five minutes later, United pressed to pull a goal back, with Moore-Billam's low drive from the edge of the area drawing a save from the home goalkeeper.

Then, towards the end, Dan Gallimore fired wide after receiving Pyke's flick-on, while Wilson was played through and forced a save from Vigouroux, who dived low down to his right to stop the attempt.

United return to action on Easter Monday with a home game against Stevenage (3pm kick-off).

LEYTON ORIENT: Vigouroux, Wood, Thompson, Smyth (Young, 73), Archibald, Mitchell, Drinan (Nkrumah, 67), Beckles, Sotiriou (Smith, 63), Kyprianou, Brown.


IRON: Watson, Delaney, Beestin, Pyke, Rowe, Sinclair (Wilson, 75), Feeney, Hackney (Moore-Billam, 45), Gallimore, Young, Grant (Matheson, 45).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Foster, O'Malley, Nuttall, Wilson, Shrimpton.

ATTENDANCE: 5,314 (275 away).

Advertisement block