Scunthorpe suffered a 2-0 home defeat to Forest Green at the Sands Venue Stadium.

Three minutes into the game, the Iron won a free-kick on the edge of the box after Ryan Loft’s flicked header was chased by Jake Scrimshaw who was brought down.

Mason O’Malley took the subsequent free-kick but sent it over the crossbar.

Forest Green had an effort go over the bar five minutes later after Regan Hendry received the ball on the edge of the box from a clearance and volleyed the ball towards goal, which rose over the bar and out for a goal-kick.

Scunthorpe almost took the lead after 20 minutes when Scrimshaw played Loft through after a fast break but the striker's hard and low effort was beaten out for a corner by Luke McGee.

The away side almost took the lead 10 minutes before half-time when Ebou Adams’ headed chance went across goal to the far post but rebounded away to safety.

Minutes later, home captain Harry Davis went down with a head injury which required medical attention. Davis was unable to continue because of the injury and was replaced by Devarn Green with George Taft being given the captain’s armband.

Forest Green had a close range effort deflected out for a corner from Jamille Matt’s effort five minutes into the second half.

Scrimshaw was the second Iron into the referee’s pocket after stopping a quick free-kick.

The visitors were awarded a penalty after Jai Rowe was adjudged to have brought down visiting captain Matt in the box.

Jamille Matt converted the penalty which put the away side 1-0 up twenty minutes into the second half.

Scunthorpe made a change after the goal as Alfie Beestin was brought on for O’Malley.

Forest Green almost extended the lead, but were thwarted by a goal-line clearance from Tom Pugh.

Minutes later, the away side doubled the lead when Adams headed the ball into the back of the net from a Kane Wilson cross which flew towards the back post where Adams met the ball.

Scunthorpe made their final substitution after 70 minutes with Hayden Hackney being swapped by Aaron Jarvis.

Fifteen minutes from time, the Iron almost scored with Loft’s excellent headed effort was saved by McGee.

Five minutes from time, substitute Jarvis had an opportunity to get a goal after Loft’s quick throw put the striker in behind the defence but couldn’t get it past the keeper McGee.

Josh March had a late chance for the away side but his flicked headed effort went wide of the post.

Scunthorpe return to action when they visit Barrow on Tuesday night (7.45pm kick-off).

IRON: Watson, Taft, Onariase, Davis (Green, 44), O’Malley (Beestin, 61), Hippolyte, Rowe, Scrimshaw, Pugh, Hackney (Jarvis, 72), Loft.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Wood, O’Neill, Gallimore.

FOREST GREEN: McGee, Wilson, Bernard, Cargill, Stevenson, Adams, Cadden, Matt (Stevens, 89), Moore-Taylor, Young (March, 75), Hendry (Aitchison, 86).

FOREST GREEN SUBS NOT USED: Thomas, Evans, Godwin-Malife, Diallo.

Follow Us

Close navigation