Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Doncaster Rovers

6 November 2021

Scunthorpe bowed out of the first round of the Emirates FA Cup after a 1-0 defeat to Doncaster Rovers from a first half goal at the Sands Venue Stadium.

After five minutes, Doncaster’s Joe Dodoo tried to connect with the ball on the volley but sent it high over the bar following a cleared corner.

Soon after, Manny Onariase made an outstanding block to deny Dodoo after he found space through the centre.

Immediately after being brought on as a substitute for Harry Bunn, who limped off, Myles Hippolyte made an instant impact after he chested the ball down from a Ryan Loft flick and drilled a low shot at goal which Doncaster goalkeeper Pontus Dahlberg saved.

Iron shotstopper Rory Watson then made a great save from a Dodoo shot after the away forward picked up a loose ball and drove into the box.

Doncaster took the lead six minutes before half-time when the ball was converted home at the back post under pressure from Tommy Rowe after a left-wing corner.

Minutes later, the home side almost equalised after Jake Scrimshaw's shot was just tipped over the bar by Dahlberg and out for a corner.

Tiago Cukur then had an effort on goal but his curled shot was too high and went over the crossbar.

Watson made another save soon after, but Dodoo’s header went straight to the keeper.

Coming out after the half-time break, the away side had a free-kick on the edge of the area four minutes into the second half, with Ethan Galbraith getting too much height and whip on the ball as it curled up and over the bar.

Shortly after, Onariase connected with a lofted ball which was placed into the box from Mason O’Malley but the defender's header looped over the bar.

Galbraith then had his powerful low driven shot saved by Watson after getting the ball on the edge of the area. Cukur then connected with a right-wing cross from Kyle Knoyle but the ball went wide.

The visitors again whipped the ball into the box from the left side this time, but the ball took a heavy deflection and came into play off the post and into the arms of Watson.

With seven minutes left of the second half, the ball ping-ponged around the Iron box before Jordy Hiwula’s low shot was sent wide.

Substitute Harry Wood then received the ball on the right side of the area but he sent his effort wide.

Scunthorpe almost levelled the game in stoppage time as Aaron Jarvis met Hayden Hackney’s left wing cross but put the ball into the side netting.

IRON: Watson, Taft, Onariase, O’Malley, Rowe, Hackney, Pugh (Wood, 75), Beestin (Perry, 61), Scrimshaw (Green, 61), Bunn (Hippolyte, 23, Jarvis, 75), Loft.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Lobley, Thompson, Wilson, Balme.

DONCASTER: Dahlberg, Anderson, Knoyle, Olowu (Horton, 13), Rowe, Bostock (Barlow, 45, Blythe, 95), Smith, Galbraith, Dodoo, Hiwula, Cukur (Hasani, 85).

DONCASTER SUBS NOT USED: Jones, Williams, Kuleya, Hollings.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account