Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Stevenage

8 May 2021

Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Stevenage

8 May 2021

United were beaten 1-0 at home by Stevenage on the final day of the 2020-21 League Two season.

The Iron went into the match making five changes from the team that drew at Bradford City, with Harrison McGahey, Ryan Loft, Myles Hippolyte, Teddy Howe and John McAtee coming in for Manny Onariase, Kevin van Veen, Jem Karacan, Jai Rowe and Alex Gilliead.

With a minute gone, United defended an early free-kick down the left, with Mason O’Malley heading clear before Loft hooked further clear.

The first corner of the game went to the Iron following good build-up play between Howe and McAtee on the right. Hippolyte nodded the ball down but Alfie Beestin couldn’t connect.

At the other end, Luke Norris looked to flick the ball into his own path inside the Iron penalty area, but McGahey came across to clear for a corner.

In the 17th minute, there was a take from Mark Howard as he read an in-swinging cross into the six-yard box.

Three minutes later, Lewis Spence put in a good challenge on the edge of the box as Elliott List shaped to shoot after latching onto a ball just inside the penalty area.

Then, in the 25th minute, Jack Smith put a low cross across the area for List, but the forward couldn't connect to the ball, with Howard watching it out for a goal kick.

Soon after, Green broke the offside trap with a through ball, but Boro ‘keeper Jamie Cumming was out quickly to clear the danger before the ball was brought under control.

On 30 minutes, Howe’s inviting cross was cleared in return to the right full-back. He then played short to Spence, who clipped in a cross for Loft, who sent an effort over the bar.

Two minutes later, List headed over for the visitors following a left-winged cross.

With 37 minutes gone, the Iron won the ball back after pressing Stevenage to make a misplaced pass. The ball was fed into Green, who turned and fired over the bar.

Then, McAtee drew Cumming into a save just prior to the whistle, with a low effort from the edge of the box.

There was a change at half-time as Jacob Bedeau came on for George Taft.

Green looked to be clean through on goal following a through ball on 52 minutes, but Scott Cuthbert slid in and got a touch on the ball to send it back to his ‘keeper.

Luke Norris then sliced wide of the target from the right side of the area for the visitors.

With 59 minutes played, Stevenage went ahead when they won a corner on the far side as McGahey slid in, with the second short corner clipped in for Elliott List, who headed into the net.

Five minutes after, McAtee and Hippolyte almost latched onto through balls into the area. The latter got a touch on the ball, but it only went through to the ‘keeper.

There was a double Scunthorpe change in the 69th minute when McAtee and McGahey were replaced by Tom Pugh and Rowe, while five minutes later Harry Jessop came on for Loft.

With 83 minutes gone, Green flicked on for Jessop, who took one touch beyond Cuthbert into the area before sending a shot over the bar.

Soon after, Stevenage's Romain Vincelot had a go at goal, with his effort taking a deflection out for a corner.

There were four minutes of stoppage time but no further chances of note.

IRON: Howard, Taft (Bedeau, 45), McGahey (Rowe, 69), Loft (Jessop, 74), Green, Hippolyte, Spence, Beestin, Howe, O'Malley, McAtee (Pugh, 69).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Karacan.

STEVENAGE: Cumming, Cuthbert, Hutton, Vancooten, List (Newton, 71), Read (Williams, 83), Smith (Vincelot, 71), Pett, Martin, Morris, Lines.

STEVENAGE SUBS NOT USED: Johnson, Marshall, Johnson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account