Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Salford City

12 January 2021

United were beaten 1-0 by a late Salford City goal in Sky Bet League Two on Tuesday night.

The Iron entered the game making four changes from the side that lost at Stevenage in their last match 10 years ago, with Jacob Bedeau, Mason O'Malley, Devarn Green and Jake Taylor making way for George Taft, Junior Brown, Jem Karacan and Lewis Spence.

The second minute saw Abo Eisa link up with Ryan Loft early on, with the latter player felled just outside the box. A free-kick was given and Eisa took the free-kick, beating the wall, but Vaclav Hladky made the save.

The sixth minute saw brilliant play from Eisa down the left channel as he won the ball back and steamed down the channel, keeping the ball in play. His left-footed shot across goal went wide though.

With 10 minutes gone, James Wilson won a corner on the right following a quickly taken free-kick. Salford subsequently had a penalty shout turned down before a Brandon Thomas-Asante shot was deflected wide for another corner.

A minute later, Mark Howard claimed that corner and quickly mounted an attack, with Eisa looking to go direct. He was crowded out as the ball was cushioned back to Hladky to clear.

After 13 minutes, Eisa and Loft combined again, with Brown’s cross chased by Alfie Beestin. He and Gilliead then combined to win a corner.

The set-play was headed away before the second ball was then claimed by Hladky. He looked to mount a quick break but for a superb touch from Brown as the ball looked to be going through on goal.

The start to the game had been very open, with Gilliead and Spence combining for the latter to cross. Hladky claimed and again mounted a quick attack, with Henderson denied by Howard after a shot from 20 yards.

After 17 minutes, Eisa was left in acres of space down the left and was found, but the Ammies quickly recovered to crowd the winger and win the ball back.

Then, Eisa again had the ball down the left as he got onto his right foot before clipping in a cross which was headed away.

A minute after, Beestin dropped his shoulder and found Loft. His flick found Spence who shot from range and saw his effort deflected wide for a corner.

With 20 minutes played, Loft headed wide of the target following a cross from the right by Spence. It came following a hefty challenge on Karacan, which the referee played advantage for, and Henderson escaped further punishment.

Five minutes later, Thomas-Asante had an effort blocked by Jordan Clarke, but the Ammies came forward again with Howard making a smart stop from close range before a third effort deflected wide for a corner.

After 30 minutes, United broke forward in numbers, with Spence bringing the ball forward. Eisa was slipped in on the left, but he was crowded out and it ended up in a Salford goal kick.

The 35th minute saw a brilliant ball into the box by Eisa. Taft charged towards the ball. and Hladky punched clear as far as Gilliead who looped the ball over and into the net, but the referee had blown for a foul on the ‘keeper.

Four minutes later, Salford's Tom Clarke swung at a clearance and missed, almost allowing Eisa in on goal following Loft’s strength up top. Hladky read it and was out to gather the loose ball though.

On the stroke of half-time, Taft headed Gilliead’s corner into the area. Eisa controlled and looked to find space to shoot before it was played to Tyler Cordner on the edge of the box. His shot was wide of the target, however.

With 48 minutes played, there was good defending by Cordner as Henderson looked to have been played into the box. Cordner came across and poked the ball away, preventing a shot before Gilliead won a throw.

Seven minutes later, Eisa got back to prevent a shot on goal as a cross was chested down. The resultant corner for the Ammies was long, with the Iron winning a throw on the nearside touchline.

After 58 minutes, there was good handling from Howard as he read a looping cross from the left by Ibou Touray under pressure from Henderson in the box.

Seven minutes later, Henderson went through on goal and clipped an effort over Howard, but Taft was tracking back to hook the ball off the line and away.

Straight after, Cordner twice got in the way as the visitors put low crosses into the box.

A minute later, the ball was played into Loft, who took it beyond one defender before firing wide of the target from 30-yards.

Soon after, the visitors fired an effort into the side-netting following a dinked cross into the box.

With 70 minutes gone, there was a chance for John McAtee, who had just come on for Karacan, with his first touch as Eisa played it into his path with his low effort across goal saved by Hladky.

Three minutes later, there were acrobatics from Henderson as he connected to a cross from the right, but his effort was off-target.

After 76 minutes, Cordner won a header from the free-kick with Hladky back-pedalling towards his goal, but making the save.

Four minutes after that, there was a corner to the Iron following good work from Clarke, McAtee and Gilliead down the right. However, nothing came from it.

Following that, Loft dummied for Eisa down the left and he looked to work his way in for a cross, but the visitors defended well to shield the ball out of play.

Kenan Dünnwald-Turan replaced Loft with five minutes left as United looked to freshen up the attack.

However, Salford netted an 89th minute winner as Henderson seized on a loose ball and slotted home.

The second minute out of four in stoppage time saw a good touch and flick from Dünnwald-Turan to McAtee. He beat one man before seeing his shot saved, and it proved the last chance of the night.

Scunthorpe return to action on Saturday afternoon when they make the trip to face Barrow (3pm kick-off).

IRON: Howard, Clarke, Taft, Gilliead, Loft (Dünnwald-Turan, 85), Eisa, Brown, Spence, Beestin, Karacan (McAtee, 69), Cordner.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Watson, Bedeau, Green, Rowe, Pugh.

SALFORD: Hladky, Touray, Lowe, Clarke, Hunter (Boyd, 90+3), Turnbull, Threlkeld, Wilson (Elliott, 90+4), Golden, Thomas-Asante (Burgess, 60), Henderson.

SALFORD SUBS NOT USED: Evans, Denny, Fielding, M Touray.

Advertisement block