A young Iron side was defeated 3-0 by Manchester City U21’s in the group stages of the Papa John's Trophy at the Sands Venue Stadium.

It was a match which saw Tom Collins, Finley Shrimpton and Dan Gallimore start to make their professional debuts, Cameron Wilson and Harry Jessop their maiden starts for the first team, while three academy players also came on for their first senior appearance.

The visitors took an early lead seven minutes from kick-off after Cole Palmer found space on the edge of the box and fired a curling shot into the far corner.

Minutes later, Scunthorpe had an opportunity of their own when Wilson dribbled his way through defenders and into the box, cutting in and hitting a shot with his left foot which went over the bar for a goal-kick. 

Collins made a brilliant acrobatic save after James McAtee picked up the ball on the edge of the box after a cleared corner and struck the shot towards goal, but the shot-stopper was there to for the Iron. 

Mason O’Malley then fired a shot over the bar after hitting the ball in stride with his left foot.

Moments later, Shrimpton landed a shot on goal from outside the box but his shot was saved by U21 goalkeeper Cieran Slicker. 

The Iron had a goal ruled offside after twenty minutes when Wilson was deemed to be in an offside position as he passed the ball into the net after Jessop's shot had been deflected into his path.

Five minutes later, Man City doubled their lead through Luke Bolton after a counter-attack that put him through on goal, and he finished emphatically.

Collins had been active throughout the first half, which continued six minutes from half-time when the away side had a free-kick on the edge of the box. Palmer was standing over it and again had his shot curling for the corner but this time Collins was there to palm it away. 

Before the second half kick-off, Wilson made way for academy striker Harrison Poulter.

Captain Harry Davis almost scored for Scunthorpe after his headed effort just narrowly went wide of the post. 

The first 30 minutes of the second half brought a quieter affair as both sides held position with neither creating many chances. 

Scunthorpe made their second substitution of the match after 76 minutes played as Jessop was replaced by academy attacker Jack Moore-Billam.

Scunthorpe added more fresh legs minutes later as academy defender/midfielder Oliver Lobley came on for Hippolyte.

James McAtee added a third goal for the away side after Palmer had his shot from outside the box saved, but McAtee was there to hit home the rebound, extending the U21’s advantage five minutes before full-time. 

IRON: Collins, O’Malley, Onariase, Hippolyte (Lobley, 80), Rowe, Jessop (Moore-Billam, 76), Thompson, Wilson (Poulter, 45), Shrimpton, Davis, Gallimore.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Watson, Beestin, Pugh.

MAN CITY U21s: Slicker, Egan-Riley, Sodje (Oduroh, 71), Bolton, Mbete (Robinson, 45), Palmer, McAtee, Lavia, Hamilton, Burns, Wilson-Esbrand (Larios, 60).

MAN CITY U21s SUBS NOT USED: van Sas, Bobb, Charles, Lewis.

Follow Us

Close navigation