Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle United 2-0 Iron

6 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: Carlisle United 2-0 Iron

6 April 2021

Scunthorpe's five game unbeaten run came to an end on Tuesday night, as they lost 2-0 at Carlisle United.

A Jon Mellish brace on the hour mark sealed the victory for the play-off chasing hosts.

The Iron entered the game making three changes from the side that drew with Crawley Town on Good Friday. Rory Watson, Jordan Clarke and Lewis Spence came in for Mark Howard, Emmanuel Onariase and Abo Eisa.

There was early pressure from the hosts as Carlisle went direct, but the Iron dealt with the early crosses into the box before Clarke did well to see the ball out for a goal kick.

The first corner of the game came the Iron's way in the fifth minute as Mason O’Malley and Devarn Green combined before Alfie Beestin latched onto the ball and forced the corner.

Four minutes later, Jacob Bedeau blocked a volleyed shot, with Rory Watson getting down to seemingly keep the ball in play, but the assistant gave a corner. Bedeau cleared for another corner shortly after.

From that, Lewis Alessandra headed back across goal, with Jack Armer flicking his header wide of the target from close range.

With 14 minutes gone, a long throw by Joe Riley went as far as Aaron Hayden who saw his shot from the edge of the box blocked. The Iron then looked to counter with a ball across to Green on the left, but the hosts cleared.

Green went down in the middle of the pitch two minutes later, with play halted as he received treatment. Eisa came on to replace the wideman.

Carlisle's Offrande Zanzala took a tumble in the penalty area in the 21st minute as a cross was hung in from the right. The referee awarded a free-kick to the Iron though as the Carlisle frontman handled the ball on his way to the ground.

A minute later, Zanzala then sent a half-volley narrowly wide of the target from 12-yards out following a cross from the right from Omari Patrick.

On the half hour mark, Gilliead hooked clear a long throw into the box from Riley on the right side before Bedeau shielded the ball out of play under pressure from Patrick for a goal kick soon after.

Jem Karacan then came in with a brilliant tackle on the edge of the box to intercept from Zanzala as he shaped to shoot.

The Iron had their first chance in the 35th minute as Mason O’Malley drove into the box and sent a low drilled effort across goal, with the effort palmed away for a corner by Paul Farman. It came after a good build-up from the Iron.

Clarke then peeled away from his marker to head the resulting corner towards goal, with Farman getting down to his left to push the effort away.

On 41 minutes, Beestin and Spence battled to win the ball back in midfield and thread the ball to meet Loft’s run, but the Iron frontman had gone marginally too early and was offside.

Just a minute into the second period, Zanzala rolled an early second-half effort from 20-yards wide of Watson’s right-hand post.

Soon after, at the other end, Gilliead did really well down the right side to escape his markers before slipping in for the run of Howe, who won the Iron a corner - which Farman claimed.

In the 49th minute, Carlisle broke quickly with the Iron defence putting in two quick-fire blocks from point blank range following shots from Riley.

Five minutes later, Bedeau turned a low cross from Patrick away for a corner after the Carlisle winger surged down the right channel. The resulting corner went out for another one, before Watson claimed the second confidently.

The 55th minute saw the hosts come forward again with a looping cross towards the far post finding Zanzala, but he put his shot wide of the target.

Carlisle came close two minutes later as Hayden came in at the back post, heading the ball down into the ground, with the effort bouncing up off the surface and over the bar.

The 59th minute saw a brilliant save from Watson, as a free-kick came into the area with a header towards goal from point blank range. The Iron shotstopper managed to push the ball behind for a corner though.

Carlisle netted from the resultant corner though, with Mellish heading home.

There was a second for the hosts just two minutes later, as Riley’s powerful effort was initially blocked before a low cross from the left was turned home by Mellish.

On 70 minutes, Gilliead drove forward and slotted Howe in down the right. His low cross was smothered by Farman though.

There was a double Scunthorpe change in the 75th minute when Olufela Olomola and John McAtee replaced Loft and Beestin.

Carlisle had the next chance a minute later, but Patrick sent a left-footed 20-yard effort over the bar for the hosts.

With five minutes left, Spence passed to Howe, who played a give and go with Gilliead before his cross was turned behind for a corner.

There were four minutes of added time, but no further chances of note as the game ended 2-0 to Carlisle.

Scunthorpe return to action on Saturday when they play host to Tranmere Rovers (3pm kick-off).

CARLISLE: Farman, Tanner, Hayden, Riley (Furman, 80), Guy, Alessandra (Scott, 87), Zanzala (Toure, 73), Patrick (Walker, 87), Mellish, McDonald, Armer.

CARLISLE SUBS NOT USED: Norman, Anderton, Charters.

IRON: Watson, Clarke, Bedeau, Gilliead, Loft (Olomola, 75), Green (Eisa, 18), Spence, Beestin (McAtee, 75), Karacan, Howe, O'Malley.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Hippolyte, Rowe, Jessop.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account