Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-2 Port Vale

5 September 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-2 Port Vale

5 September 2020

The Iron were beaten 2-1 at home by Port Vale in the first round of the Carabao Cup on Saturday, in what also happened to be the team’s first competitive game of the new season.

Within moments of the match starting there was a free kick for David Worrall which resulted in an attack from the visitors. This was cleared away by Frank Vincent.

Three minutes in, Jacob Bedeau got down the left side and sent a cross in but it went into the arms of the keeper.

A minute later, Tyler Cordner on the edge of the area passed the ball across the box. Ryan Loft got to the ball before the ball was gathered by the keeper.

With six minutes gone; Port Vale had another attempt on goal. Mark Cullen had a shot on target but it went into the arms of Rory Watson and was well defended.

With 13 minutes played, a left-footed shot from Tom Conlon saw the first real attempt from the visitors which narrowly looped over the bar.

15 minutes in, and Colclough had another attempt from outside the area. This however went over the bar.

17 minutes gone, Alex Gilliead rapidly made a run down the right side. The Iron kept up the pressure and had another attempt from Colclough that was also blocked.

Later, the visitors had a right corner taken by Worrall. This was defended well by Cordner and cleared.

With 21 minutes gone, Abo Eisa had a shot on goal which was tipped wide and went out for a corner on the left.

Then, Cordner headed back towards the six-yard box before this again went out for a goal kick.

Two minutes later, Eisa struck a long-range shot from the left following a run. The cross was powerful and went wide for a corner. This set-piece was played short before Ryan Loft had his shot blocked.

30 minutes in, Eisa made a dangerous run down the left after playing a one-two. Brown made a great save and got a hand to it. This resulted in a right corner, but the ball proved hard for the visitors to clear.

After 39 minutes, Cullen headed towards goal for the visitors after a right-wing cross which was not a problem for Watson, who collected it easily.

Soon after, Loft was brought down while he ran forward. But in the end, it was Vincent who had his shot towards goal blocked.

With 45 minutes played, Lewis Spence had a low powerful shot on target that was defended brilliantly by Brown.

In the six minutes of extra time, Colclough got the first yellow card of the season after a foul.

In the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time, Port Vale had the first goal of the game as a left footed cross saw Zak Mills poke the ball home. A moment later, Devante Rodney sent a long-range volley just wide of the target.

Wth 52 minutes gone; Colclough passed to Eisa, who made a run down the left before he was fouled. This resulted in a free-kick that curled wide of the goal post. 

A minute later, Eisa took a right corner. The ball was however blocked and went out for a corner on the opposite side. This was taken by Vincent but cleared away by Nathan Smith.

Again, another right corner by Vincent was taken short to Eisa. After the Iron had good possession it was cleared.

57 minutes in, Eisa showed his quick pace after a run down the left. He stuck the ball but it was placed behind the goal and went out for a goal kick.

Three minutes later, a right corner taken by Worrall spun into the air and was cleared to half way before Port Vale got possession again.

With 66 minutes played; after a nice set piece by Loft and Vincent, the ball reached the area before Brown collected it.

With 68 minutes gone, Colclough forced the ball down the right side before crossing it to Loft who lifted it nicely in the back of the net, and this was the equaliser for the Iron on the forward’s debut.

Two minutes later, a free-kick from Worrall was crossed into the box to Nathan Smith, who headed it forward. Watson got a hand to it before he collected the ball.

72 minutes in, a free-kick for the Iron resulted in a few shots by Loft, Gilliead and Cordner during a scramble. These were well defended by Brown, before the final shot went over the bar for a goal kick.

With 81 minutes gone, Worrall received medical treatment after a foul. However, Cordner headed the free kick away.

With four minutes of normal time left; Watson made a good save as the visitors threatened.

In the four minutes of added time, a throw-in for Port Vale saw the ball crossed high into the box. This was easily picked up by Watson.

However, in the fourth minute of stoppage time, former Iron loanee Theo Robinson netted the winner from close range. Unfortunately, this meant that the Iron exited the Carabao Cup at the first round stage.

The Iron face Lincoln on Tuesday away in the EFL Trophy, and this game can be viewed on iFollow Iron. Click here for details.


IRON: Watson, Bedeau, Colclough (Green, 73), Gilliead, Loft (Jarvis, 77), Eisa, Butroid, Spence, Vincent (Pugh, 84), Cordner, Hornshaw

SUBS NOT USED: Kelsey, Dales, Hallam, O’Malley

PORT VALE: Brown, Mills, Legge, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Conlon, Rodney, Worrall, Cullen (Robinson, 73), Burgess (Whitehead, 76)

SUBS NOT USED: Crookes, Brisley, Trickett-Smith, Hurst, Visser.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account