Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-5 Cambridge United

17 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-5 Cambridge United

17 October 2020

The Iron suffered a 5-0 defeat at home against Cambridge United on Saturday.

Two minutes into the game, United won their first corner as the visitors turned the ball behind. Myles Hippolyte’s corner was knocked across goal by Tyler Cordner, with Aaron Jarvis’ header being saved by Dimitar Mitov.

A couple of minutes later, Cambridge had their first chance of the game. The ball dropped on the edge of the area, with a volley sent over the bar.

Eight minutes on the clock, Cambridge won a free kick on the edge of the area on the right. A cross was met with a header which bounced just wide of the far post and out for a corner.

Two minutes after, there was a big handball shout as Jacob Bedeau got in the way of goalbound shot. Play continued with Cambridge awarded a corner following a deflected cross.

16 minutes in saw a big chance for the Iron as Jarvis peeled away from his man and broke the offside trap for a ball into him. He controlled before he sent his half-volley narrowly over the bar.

Two minutes after, a goal was disallowed for Cambridge. Rory Watson saved the initial shot from the edge of the area, with Joe ironside putting the ball in, but he was flagged offside.

With 22 minutes played, Harrison Dunk sent a left-footed shot goalwards from 20-yards, with Watson going down to his right to save it.

Three minutes later, good combination play was seen from Ryan Loft, Jarvis, and John McAtee before the latter was threaded into the area and worked his way past two players.

On 29 minutes, good defending was seen by Emmanuel Onariase as Ironside made his way into the area, but he came across to block the effort out for a corner.

A penalty was awarded to Cambridge in the 34th minute. Paul Mullin converted it after Paul Digby went down under a challenge from Alex Gilliead in the area.

Minutes later, Watson saved a shot from Dunk after he peeled away from the six-yard box and met a low cross from the right side.

Another penalty was given to Cambridge 44 minutes in, this time after Bedeau was alleged to have brought down Digby, with Mullin scoring a second.

Two minutes in the second half, Hippolyte got the first yellow card of the game as he fouled Luke Hannant.

Moments later, Jake Taylor was yellow carded as Hannant was fouled again after a fall down the right channel.

With 51 minutes on the clock, Hannant scored a third for Cambridge from the left side of the area.

A minute after, Lewis Spence was yellow carded after a Cambridge player fell over him while the Iron midfielder was on the floor.

55 minutes in, Hippolyte was given a second yellow card and was sent off. 

Cambridge United added a fourth goal on 61 minutes with Joe Ironside scoring from close range.

With 72 minutes played, Harvey Knibbs met a cross from the left but sent the effort off the bar.

Three minutes after, Eisa rode past four challenges which were all fouls, before his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

On 83 minutes, Ironside headed in a fifth from the left side of the area to cap the win for Cambridge.

IRON: Watson, Bedeau, Onariase, Gilliead, Loft (Eisa 59), Hippolyte, Jarvis, Spence, Cordner, Taylor, McAtee (Vincent 61).

UNUSED SUBS: Kelsey, Beestin, Dünnwald-Turan, Hornshaw, O’Malley.

CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Mitov, Knoyle, Iredale, Digby (Boateng 62), Taylor, Darling, Hannant (El Mizouni 63), Mullin (Knibbs 63), Dunk, May, Ironside.

UNUSED SUBS: Burton, Hoolahan, Cunday, Davies.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account