Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 0-2 Chesterfield U18s

7 March 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 0-2 Chesterfield U18s

7 March 2020

The Iron’s Under-18s played well and created numerous chances but were defeated 2-0 at home by their Chesterfield counterparts on Saturday.

“It was a good game of football. Scoreline-wise we lost the game 2-0 and we’re disappointed because we got done by a free header from a corner, while the second came on the counter-attack when we were on the edge of their box," said academy manager Tony Daws.

“If you look at the game as a whole, I thought we played some fantastic football. The lads passed the ball well and there were some very good technical performances from the lads. Although we lost the game, we’re very pleased with how we played.

“No disrespect to them, but they had three or four shots and scored a couple of goals. We must have had seven or eight really good chances to score. It’s work we have to do because we’re creating chances but just not quite sticking them away.

“If I’m honest, I feel if we’d won that with the number of chances we made it would have been a realistic result. The long-term development of the players is more important at this stage and I feel there were a lot of good performances on the day.”

With six minutes gone, Harry Jessop latched onto Joey Dawson’s ball and won a corner. The delivery came in and a shot was cleared away inside the penalty area.

Five minutes later, the Iron were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area, off to the right. Raynner Silva shaped to shoot but it was blocked by the wall.

On 16 minutes, Oliver Kemp took aim from outside the box and his speculative lob dipped just over the bar.

Then, soon after, Raynner Silva raced down the right and cut inside before shooting but his effort flashed just wide of the far post.

With 26 minutes played, Chesterfield took the lead as one of their players headed in from close range.

Seven minutes before the break, Charlie Barks made a perfectly timed, last-ditch challenge to deny a Chesterfield player who was through on goal.

Straight at the other end, the opposition ‘keeper denied Cameron Wilson from close range before Silva’s effort from the edge of the area was blocked.

There was a suckerpunch just before half-time though as the visitors doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time, slotting home.

Five minutes after the break, Barks met Wilson’s corner but glanced inches wide.

In the 62nd minute, Lobley got his body in the way of a Chesterfield forward’s effort which looked goalbound. The flag was up anyway though.

Then, six minutes later, Jessop shot from around 30 yards but the ambitious effort sailed over the bar.

With 20 minutes left, there was a chance for the visitors. The ball was cut back to a red shirt but he fired just over the crossbar. It proved the last chance of note in the game.

IRON:Collins, Baker, Lobley, Kemp (Wilkinson, 72), Barks, Young, D. Gallimore, Dawson, Jessop, Wilson, Silva.
IRON SUBS:Balme, Lewis.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account