The Iron Under-23s recorded a 3-1 victory away at Peterborough United in the Central League Cup group stages, with George Miller, Harry Baker and Ryan Colclough on the scoresheet for Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe fell behind early on but quickly recovered, going on to win the fixture comfortably.

Three minutes in, the Iron had a let off as Peterborough hit the post. The hosts’ number eight took aim from outside the area but it struck the upright and the rebound was cleared away by the visitors.

A minute later, though, they did take the lead. The Posh's number 10 opened the scoring, finding the back of the net in the fourth minute from the left side of the area.

Miller looked to respond for the Iron. The striker tried his luck from 35 yards after noticing the Peterborough ‘keeper off his line. However, his effort dipped just over the crossbar.

With 13 minutes on the watch, Adam Kelsey was called into action. The home side's goalscorer let fly from outside the box but the ‘keeper was equal to it, tipping the ball around the post.

In the 22nd minute, the Iron were back on level terms. Colclough combined with Miller, winning the ball back from a Posh defender on the right side of the area and flicking to the striker up to make it 1-1.

Colclough was involved in another move, five minutes later. The winger played a one-two with Tom Pugh, before the latter sent a ball into the box for Jordan Hallam. Hallam went down under a challenge inside the area but the referee waved the appeals away.

Shortly after, Miller’s low effort flashed wide of the post for the Iron.

Colclough tested the Peterborough shot-stopper, turning and shooting, but the ‘keeper was equal to it, getting down low to make the save.

At the other end of the pitch, Kelsey was forced into a save to deny an opposition player on the left side of the area.

From Colclough’s corner, the Iron went close. Jo Cummings rose highest to meet the set-piece but couldn’t direct his header on target.

After the break, a Peterborough player hit the woodwork again. The hosts were awarded a free-kick and set-piece thundered off the bar, before Kelsey saved an effort shortly after.

With 58 minutes played, Colclough and Pugh linked up along the wing, with Colclough unleashing an effort that rolled just wide from the left side of the area.

In the 66th minute, the Iron turned the scoreline on it’s head. Harry Baker made it 2-1 to United after Colclough’s ball was cleared only as far as the academy defender who fired in from 20 yards out, the effort taking a deflection on it’s way in.

The Iron upped the ante, with George Hornshaw trying his luck from a similar range but his effort was high of the target.

Soon after, Colclough put the game beyond doubt, netting the Iron’s third of the afternoon. The winger made it 3-1 with a powerful strike after he was played in down the right by Hallam, with eight minutes remaining.

In the final minute of the game, skipper Mason O’Malley dealt with a dangerous delivery and the Iron countered with Miller and substitute Harry Jessop, but the attack broke down and it finished 3-1 to the Iron.

IRON: Kelsey, Baker, O’Malley, Hornshaw, Cummings, Rowe, Colclough (Jessop 89’), Pugh, Miller, Hallam, Potts (Trialist 57’).

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Riches, Wilson, Shrimpton, Dawson.

Follow Us

Close navigation