Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 3-1 Manchester City U21s

8 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron 3-1 Manchester City U21s

8 January 2020

Kevin van Veen scored a brace to make it 13 goals for the season, while Matthew Lund added another, as United defeated Manchester City U21s 3-1 in the third round of the Trophy.

The opening minutes saw van Veen look to break down the right side, cutting onto his left foot inside the box, before being intercepted by Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

They continued to have the better of the early play and United took the lead on 10 minutes through a stunning hit from van Veen. The striker picked the ball up from distance, and rifled his effort into the top right corner to make it 12 goals for the season in all competitions.

After a swift counter-attack, City’s Jayden Braaf whipped an effort over the crossbar, after the ball fell kindly for the number 73.

The away side then had a corner on the right, and it looked to be heading goal-bound, but Rory Watson did well to keep the ball out on the line, holding the ball comfortably.

With 25 minutes gone, Alex Gilliead's floated cross into John McAtee was flicked on, with the arriving Abo Eisa winning the Iron a corner. Played short, it was van Veen again lining a shot up from distance, but the Dutchman was kept out by Daniel Grimshaw.

The Iron came close to a second on 27 minutes. This time, McAtee drove at the heart of the defence before laying off to van Veen on the right side of the box, but the latter fired over from close range.

The second arrived two minutes later as Van Veen slipped in McAtee, who was unfortunate not to beat the on-rushing Grimshaw, but van Veen was there to volley home.

The third arrived on 34 minutes as van Veen slid Lund in on the penalty spot, and the midfielder duly slotted the ball beyond Grimshaw for his fifth goal of the season in all competitions.

The Iron attack continued and, on 41 minutes, Junior Brown's cross from the left found the head of van Veen in the box, but the header was too weak. The ball fell to McAtee who found Gilliead, but the midfielder couldn’t quite get the required connection.

In the opening minute of the second half, McAtee drove down the right wing and cut back for substitute Miller, but the latter couldn’t quite beat the defender to the header.

With 49 minutes gone, McAtee stood over a free-kick out wide after Eisa was fouled. The delivery looked to be gathered by Grimshaw, who recovered well after fumbling, with Gilliead looking to pounce.

Soon after, for the visitors, Jayden Braaf beat two Iron defenders on the edge of the box, before firing a deflected strike goal-bound, but Watson was well placed to save. Up the other end, Eisa's angled strike was saved for a corner.

McAtee's delivery from the subsequent corner found McGahey, who flicked the ball on towards Grimshaw, but the away side blocked the effort and cleared to avert the danger.

On 55 minutes, a crunching tackle from Sutton in the middle of the park set off a swift Iron counter attack. The midfielder found McAtee, who nutmegged the centre-back, before firing a powerful low strike at Grimshaw, who did well to save.

Soon after, McAtee and substitute George Miller, who had come on for van Veen at half-time, linked up well leading the line, with the former finding the latter with a lofted ball over the top. Miller's audacious strike from the bouncing ball subsequently whistled narrowly past the far post.

Braaf came very close to pulling one back for the away side. After being found out wide by Ben Knight, Braaf checked inside and fired just past the near post.

Then a cross from Alpha Diounkou to Nabil Touaizi saw the latter's effort from the six-yard box saved well by the Iron's Rory Watson.

Shortly after, Diounkou's low delivery to Adrian Bernabe was sent just over the bar from a good position.

With 66 minutes gone, McAtee slid in Brown with a pinpoint throughball in behind the Man City back line, but his low cross fizzed across the face of goal and away from danger.

Three minutes later. Nabil Touaizi got in behind the Iron back-line, but Watson rushed out well to smother. The loose ball was picked up, but Harrison McGahey was on hand on the goal line to block.

With 20 minutes left, Adrian Bernabe raced through on goal, one-one-one with Watson, but the Iron shot-stopper once again saved.

On 71 minutes, the away side won a penalty which Tommy Doyle slotted beyond Watson.

Ben Knight found Felix Nmecha inside the box, but the substitute’s acrobatic volley flew harmlessly over for a goal-kick.

With 77 minutes gone, Ben Knight whipped a free-kick towards an unmarked Harwood-Bellis at the near post, but the number 78 failed to take his chance, missing the target.

On 86 minutes, the Iron came so close to adding another as Miller won the ball brilliantly, and high up the pitch before offloading to Eisa. The wideman found fellow substitute Jordan Hallam, who side-footed just past the far post.

In the dying stages, again it was Miller's determination that launched another Iron attack. He played a one-two with Eisa, but Miller's effort whistled ust over the crossbar under pressure inside the box.

With two minutes of stoppage time played, Scunthorpe held out comfortably for victory.


IRON: Watson, Clarke, Lund, van Veen (Miller, 45), Gilliead (Colclough, 73), Sutton, McGahey, Brown, Eisa, Bedeau, McAtee (Hallam, 73).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Butler, Perch, Novak.

MAN CITY: Grimshaw, Ogbeta, Simmonds (Zoubdi Touaizi, 13), McDonald (Rodgers, 83), Pozo (Nmecha, 66), Doyle, Braaf, Harwood-Bellis, Bernabe, Diounkou, Knight.

MAN CITY SUBS NOT USED: Bazunu, Amankwah, Dele-Bashiru, Fiorini.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account