Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-0 Cheltenham Town

8 February 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-0 Cheltenham Town

8 February 2020

John McAtee’s first home goal at the Sands Venue Stadium gave the Iron three points and their first league win since New Year’s Day as they beat Cheltenham Town 1-0.

The visitors had the first corner and close call of the half, after Charlie Raglan’s header was deflected and met by goalkeeper Ian Lawlor.

The home side started strongly though, challenging the travelling side in the early stages of the match. Four minutes in, Alex Gilliead had the first chance for the Iron, just clipping the top of the crossbar after a long-range shot.

18 minutes into the half, Scunthorpe grabbed the only goal of the game. McAtee continued to run towards goal after an offside trap confused away goalkeeper Owen Evans, who was beaten to the ball by McAtee.

With the goal open, McAtee effortlessly left-footed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal, giving the Iron the first goal of the game and the lead.

The away side tried to get one back before the break, yet struggled to execute their chances in the box. Just before the 30 minute mark, Chris Hussey’s cross was met by Alfie May, whose shot was easily intercepted by Lawlor.

May then came close again three minutes later with his shot just deflecting off the outside of the post, and out of play for a corner kick.

Cheltenham tried to push for their levelling goal at the start of the second period, yet the defensive strength of the Iron stopped the travelling side from getting it.

Abo Eisa tried to put United ahead by two, but was off target with a couple of chances.

With 20 minutes left, McAtee’s shot from 20 yards out was sent just over the crossbar.

A minute later, May tried again to grab Cheltenham’s first goal, but his shot once again was easily intercepted by Lawlor.

Just before ten minutes from time, Andy Butler stormed forward into the box, meeting Kevin van Veen’s cross from a corner, with a superb save from Evans only just stopping the Iron going two up.

The Iron became more threatening in the final stages, pushing forward to try finish the game off and secure the three points.

Van Veen nearly sealed it for the hosts after a McAtee cross set him up in front of the goal, with his shot only just going wide.

Though four minutes were indicated, there were six of stoppage time, but a frustrated Cheltenham were left disappointed after the underdogs at the beginning of the game took the three points thanks to the first home goal for McAtee.

IRON: Lawlor, Butler (C), van Veen (Miller,90+1’), Perch, Gabriel, Gilliead, Sutton, McGahey, Eisa, Bedeau, McAtee (Beestin, 90+3).

UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Colclough, Butroid, Green, Liddle.

CHELTENHAM: Evans, Long, Hussey, Tozer (C), Raglan, Thomas (Nichols, 57’), Broom, Doyle-Hayes (Addai, 75’), Greaves, May, Varney (Reid, 65’).

UNUSED SUBS: Lapworth, Sheaf, Boyle, Debayo.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account