Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 2-1 Bradford City U18s

1 February 2020

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 2-1 Bradford City U18s

1 February 2020

The Iron Under-18s defeated their Bradford City counterparts 2-1 at home on Saturday morning. Dan Gallimore scored in the first half before a late winner from Levi Gallimore.

Speaking afterwards, academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a very tough game for us, with Bradford a very good side. They were tough conditions with the wind and we had a couple of injuries today, but we managed to stay in the game when we needed to and sneak a win in the end.

"At Rotherham in midweek, we were unlucky not to win, but today we dug in there, and got the win we deserved."

Goalkeeper Tom Collins was called into action in the second minute, beating away the Bradford number 10’s effort from range before gathering the ball.

Two minutes later there was another fine stop from Collins, who saved with his body to deny a Bradford forward from inside the area after his strike partner squared the ball to him.

Another corner came into the box and the ball wasn’t properly cleared. Collins came out to punch it away but it fell to a Bradford player outside the area and Baker got a block in before receiving treatment and then coming off to be replaced by Oliver Kemp.

A good chance for the visitors went begging in the 15th minute as a cross came in from the right and a white shirt latched onto it but the ball rolled just wide of the far post.

The 22nd minute saw agolden opening for the Iron. Cameron Wilson’s pinpoint delivery from the right fell at the feet of Finley Shrimpton inside the area but he slipped. Harry Jessop pounced on the rebound but it was blocked.

On 30 minutes, Wilson won the Iron a free-kick just outside the box. Jessop took the set piece and the Bradford ‘keeper got fingertips to the curling effort, which looked destined for the top corner.

The 41st minute saw a good spell of pressure from the Iron. First, Jessop saw his effort blocked, then a neat passage of play began with Dan Gallimore dinking the ball over to Shrimpton, and his cross found Jessop who couldn’t quite get his shot away.

Soon after, the ball came back out to Dan Gallimore again, but his effort rolled just wide of the upright.

On 43 minutes, Raynner Silva’s cross from the left was blocked by a Bradford player and it rebounded off Jessop but he couldn’t quite react quickly enough.

On the stroke of half time, Dan Gallimore put the Iron a goal to the good. He picked up the ball outside the area, opened up his body and found the bottom corner.

With 53 minutes gone, a cross came in from the right, aimed at Oliver Lobley. He cut it back for Jessop but the forward couldn’t get the ball out of his feet.

The Iron had the ball in the back of the net again with 58 minutes gone but it was ruled out for a foul on the ‘keeper. A United player appeared to have knocked the ball out of his hands.

Three minutes later, Bradford levelled as a strike from distance nestled in the bottom corner.

In the 73rd minute, Collins saved from point blank range after a Bradford player connected with a cross from the right and thought he’d converted from just yards out but the ‘keeper got down well.

Soon after, a Bradford forward took aim from outside the box but fired both high and wide of the target.

However, the Iron retook the lead with a minute of normal time remaining. Lobley won back possession on the left and crossed for substitute Levi Gallimore, who turned the ball home.

IRON: Collins, Baker (Kemp), Lobley, D. Gallimore, Barks, Train, Wilson, Shrimpton (L Gallimore), Jessop (Virgo), Dawson, Silva (Chadli).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account