Despite being on top for much of the game, the Iron lost 1-0 at home against Colchester United on Tuesday night in Sky Bet League Two.

United entered the game making three changes, with Aaron Jarvis, Devarn Green and Jake Taylor all coming into the starting eleven, while Ryan Loft, Abo Eisa and John McAtee made way.

In the rainy conditions, Scunthorpe were quick off the mark. Lewis Spence and Green were pushing the ball into the visitors’ danger area within the first few minutes, but saw their efforts blocked.

Eight minutes in and the team nearly saw an opening goal with the help of Alex Gilliead. As he strode down the right side, he crossed the ball into the six-yard box, which met Green, but last ditch defending kept the ball from going in.

With a quarter of an hour played, Jarvis took a free-kick after he was fouled trying to take the ball beyond his defender. He bent the effort around the Colchester wall, but it went wide of the post.

Another promising moment from United followed moments after when Jarvis forced Tommy Smith to clear for a throw as he took a chance to try and keep the ball in play. It led to Gilliead getting the ball into the box and almost finding the run of Alfie Beestin.

It was on 27 minutes when Colchester broke the deadlock as Smith powered in a header following a left-winged cross.

Beestin had a chance three minutes after when a cross from Mason O’Malley went into the box and looped into the air. Beestin connected with a follow-up volley, but his effort went over.

Miles Welch-Hayes was the first player of the game to receive a yellow card, as he again hauled down Green on the left-side, which resulted in a free-kick.

Soon after nearing 40 minutes, Beestin connected to a low cross and rolled it forward towards Harrison McGahey. His effort was on target but was unfortunately saved.

The visitors had another chance at goal nearing stoppage time on 44 minutes when Brown curled a left-footed effort wide of the target area after Jacob Bedeau had headed a right-winged cross clear of the six-yard box.

Beestin then had another chance before the half-time whistle blew. The ball ran up to him inside the area and he opened up, but Dean Gerken drew a fine save.

11 minutes into the second half and Ryan Loft was denied a chance at goal by Gerken as he peeled away to latch onto a right-winged cross.

Seconds later, the Iron were denied by the post. Spence rolled the ball to Green on the edge of the area, who took one touch before he curled an effort across the goal. Gerken was beaten, but the ball bounced back into play off the post.

56 minutes on the clock, and Loft’s header cannoned off the underside of the bar and looked to have crossed the line, but the assistant kept his flag down. A long-range effort by Jordan Clarke was then fumbled, and Loft’s rebound was turned behind.

Not long after, brilliant play was seen from Bedeau as he came across to read a forward pass and slid in at a crucial moment to clear as the visitors looked in on goal.

Just before stoppage time was announced, Abo Eisa drove past three players trying to create a chance at goal before being blocked off, but it wasn’t a foul according to the referee.

The Iron couldn’t find that leveller, as Emmanuel Onariase looked to scramble home late on following an O’Malley set-play sent in from the right.

Scunthorpe return to action with a trip to face Southend United on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

IRON: Howard, Clarke (Rowe 77), O’Malley, Onariase, McGahey (Bedeau 42), Beestin, Gilliead, Spence, Green (Eisa 74), Jarvis, Taylor (Loft 45).

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Hallam, McAtee.

COLCHESTER: Gerken, Welch-Hayes, Bramall, Eastman, Smith, Gambin, Harriott (Sowunmi, 53), Chilvers, Brown (Folivi 58), Senior (Poku 71), Norris (Clampin 71).

COLCHESTER UNUSED SUBS: George, Tchamadeu, Marshall, Miranda.  

Follow Us

Close navigation