Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Mansfield Town U18s 1-2 Iron U18s

19 October 2019

Match Reports

Report: Mansfield Town U18s 1-2 Iron U18s

19 October 2019

The Iron Under-18s came from behind away from home to beat Mansfield Under-18s, courtesy of goals from Joey Dawson and Fin Shrimpton.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a really pleasing performance and result for us today.

"We had to dig deep and compete with a good Mansfield team, especially after going a goal down and being under a lot of pressure, particularly from first-half corners.

"We weathered the storm and put in an excellent second-half performance, scoring two good team goals. 

"Our lads showed good character and resillience today."

It was the Iron who had the first sight of goal, not long after the game kicked off. After Harry Jessop tried to work an opening on the edge of the box, the ball eventually made its way to Levi Gallimore, but the forward's low effort was kept out well by the Stags ‘keeper.

The Iron continued to push for the opener in the first ten minutes, and this time it was Jessop’s back post half-volley that was kept out, following good work from Shrimpton and Dawson to win a corner.

In the ninth minute, Harry Baker’s deep cross forced the home ‘keeper to tip the ball over the crossbar, and the resulting corner was later cleared.

Three minutes later, the Iron were defending at the other end, through Charlie Barks’ block, deflecting a goal-bound strike to safety, and the Iron duly cleared the danger from the corner that followed.

The Iron’s on-loan ‘keeper Josh Chapman was forced into action shortly after, saving well twice in quick succession. Firstly, getting down low to parry a strike following a Stags counter attack, and minutes later, back-peddling to tip an effort over the bar.

The home side opened the scoring on the half hour mark, after a corner was headed back across the face of goal, and touched in by a Stags player.

After some resolute defending, the Iron carved out another chance of their own. Shrimpton and Jessop linked up well down the right side, before the former acrobatically crossed to Levi Gallimore, but the striker was just beaten to the ball by the home ‘keeper.

On the brink of half time, the home side almost doubled their lead, after a good delivery from the right wing was flicked against the post, and cleared away from danger.

The second half proved to be a productive one for the Iron, as Levi Gallimore forced the ‘keeper into a save five minutes after the restart, tipping the ball round the post.

Turning up the pressure, the Iron enjoyed a spell of possession and a couple of decent chances one after the other. Baker’s low ball fizzed across the box, evading everyone in an Iron shirt, and moments later, Jessop almost beats the ‘keeper to the ball, but the Mansfield shot-stopper comes out on top.

In the 73rd minute, the Iron finally grabbed the equaliser they deserved. After good forward play involving Raynner Silva, a ball was whipped in from a wide angle, and glanced home by Joey Dawson.

Five minutes later, United were pushing for a winner, and this time it was Levi Gallimore looking to get himself on the scoresheet. The forward had the ball inside the box, but fired wide at the near post.

With 84 minutes on the clock, the Iron came from behind to lead 2-1. After brave defending at the other end by Fin Shrimpton, the Iron countered at pace with Levi Gallimore. The aforementioned Shrimpton arrived in the box 12 yards from goal to guide the ball home after being picked out by Gallimore.

Despite holding the lead, the Iron continued to push for another through Harry Jessop. The frontman lashed a volley towards the home ‘keeper, who did well to keep the ball out and divert it round for a corner.

IRON: Chapman, Baker, Lobley, D Gallimore, Barks, Kemp, Shrimpton, Dawson, L Gallimore, Jessop, Silva.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Chadli, Virgo, Wilkinson, Wilson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account