Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Notts County U18s 0-1 Iron U18s

5 November 2019

Raynner Silva scored direct from a corner on 110 minutes to seal a 1-0 FA Youth Cup win for the Iron’s Under-18s at Notts County after extra time on Tuesday night and seal United’s place in the second round.

Morpeth Town at home await in the next round, with full details to be announced once confirmed.

The first chance of the game came the Iron’s way in the fifth minute as Silva took a corner from the left, which was met by Harry Jessop at the back post. His shot was blocked into the path of Charlie Barks, whose low shot from the edge of the area was tipped onto the post before Levi Gallimore fired in the rebound but saw his strike ruled out for offside.

Straight after, on the break, Syme Mulvany came close for County as his fiercely struck effort from the edge of the area was tipped over by Tom Collins for a corner, which the Iron then cleared.

With seven minutes gone, receiving the ball from the right, Silva unleashed an effort from 30 yards which cleared the crossbar.

On 16 minutes, Kieran Cummings came close for County with a speculative effort from 25 yards which cleared the crossbar, and then Jessop attacked down the left side of the box for the Iron but his cross-shot was saved by the goalkeeper.

Three minutes later, the hosts attacked down the right through McKenna, whose cross was eventually deflected behind for a corner. The ball in eventually reached Bucalossi, whose drive went across goal and wide.

Soon after, on a quick counter-attack, the hosts found Cummings down the left, but his shot went wide at Collins’ near post.

On 24 minutes, Finley Shrimpton found Harry Baker down the right, who played the ball back to the No 7. His cross into the box from deep was then headed over by Jessop from 15 yards.

A minute later, there was another shot at goal for Jessop, who turned on the edge of the area before firing a low strike that Brooks dived down to his right to save. It came following a pass from Levi Gallimore.

The 33rd minute saw a great block from Oliver Lobley as a home player threatened to pull the trigger.

Soon after, Mulvany dribbled into the area for the hosts before turning and curling a shot just wide of Collins’ left-hand post.

With 35 minutes gone, Jessop and Silva linked up on the edge of the area, left side, before the latter sent an effort wide of Brooks' left-hand post.

On 41 minutes, Silva threaded a pass through to Jessop but Irvine marshalled well and cleared. Wilson then had a shot from the edge of the area but it went wide. Then, Levi Gallimore passed to Silva from the left, who then took aim but his shot went wide of Brooks’ right post.

With a minute of the opening half left, receiving the ball from Wilson, following an excellent tackle by the same player, Jessop drove down the left and unleashed a low shot from the edge of the area which clipped the outside of the post and went out for a goal-kick.

On 55 minutes, Baker and Wilson linked up on the right before the latter’s cross reached Lobley, whose shot was palmed away by Brooks but Joey Dawson, stretching, fired the rebound over.

The hosts then struck an effort wide after the ball dropped to McKenna on the edge of the area.

With 69 minutes played, after Virgo won the ball, Wilson drove down the middle and sent an effort goalwards from the edge of the area which Brooks tipped over for a corner.

Soon after, Silva sent another corner in but Barks’ glancing header went wide.

Then, Shrimpton received the ball on the edge of the 18-yard box and drilled a low effort which Brooks got down low to save.

The 76th minute saw end-to-end action as Marshall’s left wing free-kick was met by Mellors, who drew a save from Collins to his left. Then, on the break, Jessop’s left-wing cross just evaded Wilson in the area.

With five minutes of normal time left, showing good control, Jessop worked an opening and clipped an effort towards goal which was tipped over the crossbar.

The 89th minute saw pinball in the Notts penalty area as Patrick Virgo, Shrimpton and Jessop had efforts blocked, before Silva then saw an effort saved and fired wide the rebound.

On the stroke of full-time, a loose ball came out to Lobley, who lifted the ball over the defence to Silva, who broke the offside trap but prodded just wide.

County then had the final chance of normal time as Palmer saw a shot blocked away from close range before the rebound hit him and went inches wide of the post.

The first chance of extra time saw Dan Gallimore crash an effort just wide following a short corner.

Then, in the 105th minute, the hosts almost turned the ball in from a right-wing corner, but United managed to get it clear.

After Wilson won a corner five minutes into the second-half of stoppage time, Silva took from the right and managed to loop over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

On 116 minutes, the home side almost levelled but Lobley made a great block from a close range effort before Baker had to clear off the line too.

Then, two minutes later, the ball dropped to Notts' Chizuka on the left side of the area but he blazed over the bar.

Wilson had a late penalty claim denied as United saw the game out and advanced to the second round.

IRON: Collins, Baker, Lobley, Wilson, Barks, Kemp, Shrimpton, Dawson (D Gallimore, 66), L Gallimore (Virgo, 66), Jessop (Wilkinson, 115), Silva.



Advertisement block