Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Huddersfield Town U18s 2-3 Iron U18s

23 November 2019

The Iron’s Under-18s were 3-2 winners at Huddersfield Town in the Youth Alliance League on Saturday, with Finley Shrimpton, Harry Jessop and substitute Raynner Silva on target.

Speaking after the game, academy manager Tony Daws said: “Our players put in an excellent performance today. We made a number of changes before and during the game to give all of the squad opportunities to play. A good opening hour saw us go 2-0 up, with Finley Shrimpton and Harry Jessop scoring but Huddersfield came back strongly and levelled.

"We adjusted our tactics in the last 10 minutes which helped to create two or three chances to score, but unfortunately we didn’t manage to take them.

"With our last attack in added time, Raynner curled a fantastic effort into the top corner. It was a goal worthy of winning any match.

"Tactically our shape out of possession was good today and at times we passed the ball quite well when we had it. Well done to all of the squad today.

"Also, a big well done to Aidan Train returning today after a year out with a cruciate knee ligament injury."

The first chance of the game arrived in the fifth minute as a cross came in from the left, but Joey Dawson’s diving header was off target.

Seven minutes later, Finley Shrimpton played the ball out from the back to Harry Jessop. The forward laid the ball off to Dawson on the edge of the area but the latter fired over the bar.

Following a quiet period in the game at a rainy Canalside, the next opportunity came Huddersfield’s way on 26 minutes as a forward took aim from the edge of the area but it flew over the bar.

The 34th minute saw Scunthorpe take the lead through Shrimpton, with a brilliant strike from the edge of the area after the Terriers failed to clear their lines.

Three minutes later. at the other end of the pitch, Charlie Barks made a goal-saving clearance, getting to a dangerous low cross before a blue and white shirt.

With 41 minutes gone, Dan Gallimore almost doubled the Iron’s lead. After a shot was blocked inside the area, it came out to the number four but his half-volley flashed just wide.

On 49 minutes, the same player did well inside the area, rounding his marker before having a shot from a difficult angle which rippled the side netting.

The 54th minute saw Harry Jessop make it 2-0 after latching on to a throughball and beating the keeper and his man, slotting under the shot-stopper.

Three minutes after, Shrimpton drew a save from the home goalkeeper Roxburgh after picking up a pass from Dawson.

Then, Kemp saw his effort inside the box blocked after Jessop couldn’t get his shot away.

However, the Terriers pulled a goal back on 62 minutes and then, after curling a free-kick wide shortly after, they levelled on 75 minutes.

In the 82nd minute, goalkeeper Josh Chapman made a save with his legs to deny a Huddersfield player.

Then, in stoppage time, Silva won it for the Iron at the death with a superb strike that curled into the top corner!

Chapman, Baker, Lobley, D. Gallimore (Silva), Barks, Kemp (Train), L. Gallimore, Shrimpton, Dawson (Virgo), Jessop (Wilkinson), Chadli (Wilson).

Advertisement block