Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster Rovers U23s 1-1 Iron U23s

19 November 2019

The Iron Under-23s drew 1-1 at Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday afternoon, with Lewis Butroid deservedly restoring parity in the second half following a dominant performance from his side.

In the second minute, the hosts had the first effort of the game from 25-yards following play down the left. It came following a good cleared cross from Andy Dales as the Iron were attacking down the right.

Two minutes later, there was a chance for the Iron as John McAtee switched play to Dales. His first touch took him inside before he teed up Potts on the edge of the box. However, his first time shot went over.

Soon after, Tom Pugh saw a low effort blocked after good work from Jai Rowe and Dales. Rowe beat his man to clip the ball into the area before his cross was cleared as far as Dales. His pass then set up Pugh.

In the seventh minute, McAtee was fed the ball on the right side of the area with his shot on the turn going wide of the target.

Doncaster took the lead against the run of play in the eighth minute as the hosts surged down the right before a low cross into the area was converted across goal and into the corner of the net.

Straight after, McAtee picked up the ball 40 yards from goal, driving past two players before firing over the crossbar.

The 16th minute saw a chance for the Iron after playing out from the back. McAtee turned his man before slotting wide to Mason O’Malley. He took one touch before firing goalwards with his deflected effort saved.

Just a minute later, the Iron won a free-kick after a cynical tackle 25-yards from goal. McAtee curled the ball over the wall, with the effort hitting the outside of the post and going out for a goal kick.

In the 20th minute, centre-back Jacob Bedeau ran the length of the pitch and exchanged a one-two with Potts before the ball went out for a corner. Dales crossed, and McAtee rose highest but put his header wide of the target.

With 32 minutes on the clock, the hosts won a corner following a deflected cross. The balls came into the area and hit the bar, coming back into play before Rowe was wiped out.

United were soon on the attack again as three crosses came into the area and were dealt with by Rovers. Butroid also had a shot from range which was saved by the ‘keeper.

Straight after, Dales slotted in McAtee down the right and he drove towards the edge of the box before angling a low effort across goal, which the ‘keeper saved with his right foot.

On 37 minutes, Reon Potts won a penalty as he was slipped into the area and brought down by the ‘keeper. The forward took the kick, but the ‘keeper redeemed himself, diving to the right to keep out the low effort.

Three minutes after, George Hornshaw’s touch inside the area took him wide before he teed up Dales for the cross which was turned behind. McAtee then fired over from the corner.

Early in the second period, Rowe found Dales down the right channel, with the winger working hard to force the ball to Pugh. Butroid received possession on the left but his cross just cleared the bar.

The 52nd minute saw a brilliant interchange between O’Malley and McAtee, with the final ball played into the latter before he chested down and fired wide.

McAtee then put an effort over the bar after brilliantly turning his defender following work by Butroid down the left.

On 63 minutes, there was a trio of chances for the Iron as Dales dispossessed, which saw McAtee drive forward 60 yards. Jessop had his effort blocked, as did Butroid, before Jessop’s header was well saved.

The 69th minute saw McAtee again burst into the area and angle a shot, which hit the inside of the post, then hit the ‘keeper and went out for a corner.

With 71 minutes gone, Rovers’ right full-back got forward and into space but his first time effort was cued high and wide.

Two minutes later, Rowe steped in from the right to find McAtee, who again drove forward before firing over the bar.

With 15 minutes left, a left-footed effort from the hosts went through bodies and drew Kelsey into a smart stop as he saw the effort late.

Two minutes later, the Iron finally get the goal their play deserved with Lewis Butroid heading home following a right-winged cross to restore parity.

On 80 minutes, there was a golden chance for the Iron to take the lead as they went two-on-one. McAtee slipped in Jessop, but the academy player placed his effort just wide.

Soon after, McAtee clipped in Jessop again, who drove into the area and pushed the ball across to Butroid. O’Malley ran onto the ball and hit an effort wide.

The 86th minute saw McAtee latch onto a loose clearance to hit a low effort towards goal, which was well saved and held.

IRON: Kelsey, Rowe, O’Malley, Hornshaw (D Gallimore, 83), Barks, Bedeau, Dales (Shrimpton, 70), Pugh, Potts (Jessop, 45), McAtee, Butroid.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Chapman, Baker.

Advertisement block