Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Sheffield Wednesday XI 5-1 Iron XI

19 March 2019

An Iron XI side were beaten 5-1 by a strong and experienced Sheffield Wednesday XI in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday afternoon.

Olufela Olomola had netted for the Iron in the second half, but despite the result, it was a worthwhile exercise for Scunthorpe players who had been on the fringes of the first team. Meanwhile, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson also received a valuable 45 minutes of game time as part of his recovery from a cartilage injury.

Sheffield Wednesday got the game underway, and soon had the first opportunity inside five minutes. Defender Byron Webster initially did well to block the first shot on target, before Adam Kelsey in the Iron goal produced a fine save to deny an Owls attacker on the follow-up. 

Kelsey was then called into action again shortly after, as he rushed out to claim a loose ball when a quick one-two by Wednesday looked to set the striker free down the middle. 

The Iron then raced forward themselves, as Jordan Hallam played in Yasin Ben El-Mhanni down the right flank after nine minutes. He showed great trickery to beat his man, before cutting the ball back to George Hornshaw on the edge of the area, but his effort went over the crossbar. 

With just over quarter of an hour played, the Iron won two free-kicks in quick succession. The first set-piece was cleared, before Hammill stepped up to take the second from 25-yards, but he curled his shot narrowly past the post. 

Five minutes later, the Owls attacked for the first time in a while after the Iron had done well to apply pressure on the hosts. 

Tom Pugh blocked a shot which went behind for a corner. The set-piece was then delivered to the edge of the area, and another shot came in, but was fired wide of Kelsey’s goal.

Seconds later, United broke away in a quick counter. Pugh and Hammill linked up well in the centre of the park, before the latter played a pass into El-Mhanni who was lurking outside the box. He unleashed a venomous shot, however it was blocked and cleared.

Following that, Hammill forced the Owls’ goalkeeper into a good save when his powerful driven effort was initially beaten away, before the ball was collected on the second attempt.  

Two minutes later, Hammill was involved again. He sent a corner towards Webster, who rose highest above his man to win the ball, but his header went over the bar. 

With half-an-hour on the clock, the Owls had another chance of their own, but after Pugh hooked the ball away for a corner, the subsequent set-piece was headed wide.  

However, with five minutes to go before half-time, Sheffield Wednesday did find themselves in the lead. 

Lewis Butroid initially cut out the danger, before Wednesday came forward again and a left-wing cross was turned in at the back post by an attacker. 

The Iron looked to respond quickly as they tried to get a goal back before the interval, but the Owls defended well to preserve their lead going into the break. 

At half-time, the Iron made two changes, as Tom Pugh was replaced by Borthwick-Jackson and Adam Kelsey came off for Sam Riches. 

As the second-half got underway, Riches was forced into his first save of the afternoon when a low shot was driven in from the edge of the area. 

Then, on 50 minutes, Sheffield Wednesday doubled their advantage. The Owls broke down the right, before a cross was delivered in and headed beyond Riches, leaving him with no chance. 

With the Iron two behind, they looked to pull a goal back. Butroid charged down the left flank, before sending in a cross looking for Olufela Olomola, but it was gathered by the ‘keeper.  

Seconds after, Hallam received the ball on the edge of the area, however he shot just wide of the mark. 

With an hour gone, Hammill smartly backheeled back to Olomola, who passed to Hallam. He then played in Borthwick-Jackson, who tried to pick out El-Mhanni, but the goalkeeper was alert to gain possession.

On 67 minutes, an incisive Owls attack saw them stretch their lead further. The left-sided forward controlled a diagonal pass from the right, before neatly chipping over Riches and into the net. 

A few minutes later, Hallam drove forward for the Iron, before passing to Olomola. He then laid the ball back for El-Mhanni, who shot from distance, but missed the target. 

As the clocked ticked towards the final 15 minutes, Olomola did deservedly pull a goal back for the Iron. Hammill received the ball on the right, before playing a low cross dangerously into the area, which was turned home at close range by the striker. 

However, shortly after, the home side were on the scoresheet again. A free-kick on the right-hand side was curled into the back of the Iron net, to make it 4-1 to Wednesday.  

Three minutes later, an Owls attacker blasted the ball into the net from just outside the 18-yard-box to extend their lead again.  

With five minutes to go, United pushed on again. Hammill slotted the ball inside to Olomola, but his shot forced another decent save from the goalkeeper. That proved to be the last action of the game.

IRON: Kelsey (Riches, 45), Webster, Lewis, Ben El-Mhanni, Olomola, Hornshaw, Hallam, Bedeau, Butroid, Pugh (Borthwick-Jackson, 45), Hammill.

Advertisement block