Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood Town 0-1 Iron

26 January 2019

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood Town 0-1 Iron

26 January 2019

The Iron made it six games unbeaten, and five wins in that spell, by emerging 1-0 victors at Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

Ashley Eastham converted into his own net in the 75th minute, following a cross from substitute Levi Sutton, to secure a third away victory in succession.

The Iron made one change going into the match, as Adam Hammill came into the side for Sutton.

United tried to force the first attempt in the opening minute, as Tony McMahon’s right-wing corner was met by Hammill, who tried to divert the ball across goal but the defence cleared away James Perch’s deflection goalwards.

As the opening half wore on, both teams were trying to feel their way into the match, with the first ten minutes mainly been played out  in midfield with no further clear-cut chances.

The home side forced Jak Alnwick into his first save on 13 minutes as Ross Wallace clipped a ball through to Jason Holt, who brought the ball down on his chest in the area and struck a low shot which the Iron shotstopper did well to parry away. Soon after, a ball was played through searching for Ashley Nadesan, but Alnwick put him under pressure and the ball went out for a goal-kick.

With 23 minutes gone, Alex Cairns was drawn into a superb save for the hosts, as the Cod Army’s James Husband glanced Cameron Borthwick-Jackson’s swinging free-kick from the right flank goalwards. It was heading towards the top corner, before the Fleetwood shotstopper got a fingertip to it to push out for a corner.

The opening period continued to be bereft of any real chances, and United were forced into a change on 33 minutes as the injured Borthwick-Jackson came off to be replaced by Harrison McGahey for his first team debut.

The hosts had a chance moments later as Ross Wallace’s effort from distance forced Alnwick to parry out for a corner.

They continued to threaten and went close again with 38 minutes on the clock as Nadesan received the ball on the right side of the 18 yard box and drilled across goal but wide.

It was a half of few chances, with much of it fought out in the centre of midfield, and the two sides went in level at the break.

Nadesan had the first effort of the second period as he tried to catch Alnwick out with a clipped effort from the right side, but the goalkeeper was equal to it.

Scunthorpe tried to threaten, and Lee Novak’s header across goal had to be cleared away on 50 minutes after McGahey had put the ball back in the box following McMahon’s cleared free-kick. 

The hosts drew a save from Alnwick again in the 52nd minute as Ross Wallace’s free-kick from 30 yards curled towards the goalkeeper’s far post. He tipped away though.

The Iron had a penalty shout denied a minute later when Hammill’s cross from the left threatened to find Perch, who went down under the challenge of a home defender.

It was a lively start to the second half and former Iron striker Paddy Madden was next to come close in the 55th minute, as his bullet header was superbly tipped over the crossbar by Alnwick.

With 59 minutes on the clock, the Iron pressed forward again and Novak, after good combination play with Kyle Wootton, attempted to loop an effort over the goalkeeper from the left side of the area but it drifted just over the crossbar.

Then, after a Cameron Burgess knockdown reached him, Funso Ojo unleashed a powerful right-footed effort from 20 yards which went just wide of goal.

In the 64th minute, Nadesan had another chance but headed wide following Husband’s delivery into the penalty area.

Ross Wallace was next to have an effort on goal five minutes later, receiving the ball from Wes Burns and drilling just wide of Alnwick’s left-hand post.

The second Iron change of the afternoon came on 72 minutes, as Sutton replaced Hammill.

The midfielder made an instant impact as United took the lead just three minutes later. Sutton sent in a powerful low cross, searching for Novak, and Ashley Eastham converted into his own net and beyond Cairns.

Sutton was next to come close in the 82nd minute, latching onto a diagonal ball by Burgess but, as he advanced on goal, he fired over from the right angle of the 18-yard box.

The home side looked for a way back into the match and came close in the 85th minute when Ched Evans met a cross to half-volley at the back post. However, Alnwick was equal to his effort, catching the ball. 

In the 89th minute, Ross Wallace then sent a free-kick from the right flank into the area, which Alnwick rose to gather.

There were four minutes of stoppage time, and the hosts pressed but couldn’t get past the Scunthorpe defence.

United return to action with a trip to Barnsley next Saturday.


Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Holt (Hunter, 67), Eastham, Burns, Evans, Madden, Morgan, R Wallace, Nadesan (McAleny, 80), Husband, J Wallace.
Substitutes not used: Jones, Taylor, Biggins, Sheron, Garner.

Scunthorpe United: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson (McGahey, 34), McMahon, Ojo, Perch, Novak, Thomas, Burgess, McArdle, Wootton, Hammill (Sutton, 72).
Substitutes not used: Flatt, Webster, Lund, van Veen, Lewis.

Referee: Seb Stockbridge.

Attendance: 2,637 (277 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account