Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-0 Accrington Stanley

9 February 2019

Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-0 Accrington Stanley

9 February 2019

The Iron made it six wins in eight games, as they beat Accrington Stanley 2-0 at Glanford Park on Saturday afternoon in Sky Bet League One, to remain unbeaten at home since late 2018.

Kyle Wootton netted his second of the season early in the first half, before Kevin van Veen then scored his first goal for the club since returning in January.

Manager Stuart McCall made three changes from the side that were defeated by Barnsley last weekend. Tom Pearce made his Iron debut, replacing Byron Webster in defence. James Perch missed out through suspension and was replaced by Levi Sutton, and Kyle Wootton returned following injury, coming into the starting eleven in place of Adam Hammill. 

Accrington got the game underway, kicking from right-to-left in the first half, but it was the Iron who started brighter. 

Funso Ojo had the first opportunity within five minutes, after a free-kick was only cleared as far as him on the edge of the area. The Belgian controlled it well, before drilling his low, right-footed drive just wide of the target. 

Just moments later, Ojo was involved again. He played George Thomas down the right, who cut the ball back onto his left-foot, and tried to feed his curling effort into the top corner, but Jonny Maxted managed to tip it behind for a corner.  

Then, with the Iron on top, they made their early pressure count, and were soon ahead in spectacular style through Kyle Wootton. The striker brilliantly plucked the ball out of the air, before letting it drop to his feet, and struck his shot beautifully on the volley from the edge of the area after 13 minutes. 

However, after going a goal behind, the visitors began to look dangerous in attack. Ben Richards-Everton raced down the right flank, sending a deep cross towards the back post where Mark Hughes was waiting, although he could only direct his header over the crossbar. 

Accrington’s Jordan Clark then blazed another opportunity over, when he latched onto a loose ball inside the area, before Jak Alnwick made a comfortable save to deny Paul Smyth.

As for the Iron, Lee Novak had a good chance to make it two. Wootton played a nicely weighted through ball for Novak, he got there ahead of his man, ran towards goal, and looked to find the bottom right corner, but Maxted got down well to save. 

However, that was to be the last piece of action for Novak in the game, as he had to be replaced by van Veen in the 40th minute. 

As van Veen entered the frame, it took him only a matter of seconds to make an impact from the bench, as he doubled the Iron’s advantage just before the half-time interval, curling the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. 

The fourth official then indicated two minutes of added time at the end of the first-half, leaving the Iron with the chance for one last attack. Tony McMahon got on the end of a van Veen free-kick, but headed just wide, in the last play before the break. 

United restarted the game for the second half, but it was Accrington with the first attack. Sean McConville met a cross at the back post. However, from close range, he missed the target and Alnwick was untroubled.

Then, on 54 minutes, the away side thought they had a goal back, when Daniel Barlaser put the ball into the back of the net, but the linesman raised his flag for offside, so the scoreline remained 2-0.

Luke Armstrong then charged into the area, and got his shot away, but Cameron Burgess was there to divert his effort behind.

With ten minutes left to play, the Iron made their second substitution of the game, as Clayton Lewis replaced Thomas. 

As the game clock ticked down, the fourth official signalled for a minimum of four minutes time allowed, and the Iron held on for the win at Glanford Park.

Scunthorpe are next back in action away at Gillingham on Saturday.

Scunthorpe United: Alnwick, McMahon, Ojo, Pearce, Novak (Van Veen, 39) Thomas (Lewis, 81), Burgess, Sutton, McArdle, McGahey, Wootton.
Unused substitutes: Flatt, Webster, Lund, Olomola, Hammill.

Accrington Stanley: Maxted, Johnson (Armstrong, 65), Hughes, Donacien, Richards-Everton, Clark, McConville, Barlaser, Conneely (Brown, 55), Kee, Smyth (Zanzala, 73).
Unused substitutes: Evtimov, Nolan, Rodgers, Gibson. 

Referee: Antony Coggins.

Attendance: 4,824.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account