Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron XI 3-1 FBT International Academy

9 April 2019

An Iron XI side beat FBT International Academy 3-1 in a behind-closed-doors encounter on Tuesday afternoon.

First-year academy scholar Charlie Barks opened the scoring before Tom Pugh, who has recently signed his first professional contract, converted a penalty for the second. Trialist 10 netted the third before FBT pulled one back with the final kick of the game.

There was a positive start for the Iron who, on three minutes, saw Yasin Ben El-Mhanni drive down the left and play his way into the area, winning an early corner. Trialist 10 did well from the corner before FBT cleared.

The 17th minute saw the first real opening for the Iron as Trialist 9 found space down the left side, drilling an effort towards the near post, with the ‘keeper making a fine save.

The Iron scored the opener from the resultant corner. The ball came into the area with Charlie Barks peeling away from his marker to head across goal and into the net. 

On 25 minutes there was a speculative effort from FBT from the edge of the area which curled wide of the mark, not troubling Kelsey in goal.

Two minutes later, a free-kick was awarded to the Iron on the edge of the area. Ben El-Mhanni took it, with a player in the wall getting a head on the ball to deflect the ball behind for a corner.

The 31st minute saw Scunthorpe win a penalty as Trialists 10 and 7 combined before the ball was spread left to Ben El-Mhanni. He picked up the ball, drove into the area and was brought down from behind. 

The spot kick was confidently converted by Tom Pugh, who fired the ball into the bottom left corner of the net. The ‘keeper guessed correctly, but the precision of the placement saw the effort nestle.  

It was three for the Iron just moments later as Jai Rowe was prominent down the right. His ball across the area was met at the far post by Trialist 10, who fired the ball into the net. 

There was a chance for the Iron in the 42nd minute as Hornshaw played a brilliant throughball for Trialist 7, who saw an effort from 20-yards saved by the ‘keeper. 

With 44 minutes gone, Barks won the first header from an FBT free-kick into the penalty area before the FBT number 10 hooked an effort from the edge of the box over the bar.  

There was a half-time change as Harry Jessop came on for Luca Chadli. Soon after the break, there was a golden opportunity for a fourth. Rowe defended an early FBT corner before a long crossfield ball was dummied by Ben El-Mhanni, who showed great awareness. Trialist 10 drove on and forced a good stop from the ‘keeper. 

On 49 minutes, there was a goal disallowed for the Iron as the ball came in from the right following neat play. Trialist 9 controlled and fired home, but the flag was up for offside.

With 58 minutes on the clock, there was good defending from Pugh as he tracked back from an FBT counter-attack. The ball was played down the right before being cut back, with Pugh positioned well to gain possession. 

With 20 minutes left, Bedeau brought the ball forward towards the final third, taking on three players, before threading through Trialist 9. The ‘keeper raced out and smothered the ball though.

A minute later, the FBT ‘keeper was forced into a fine save as Trialist 10 ran at the defence finding an opening for a shot, with the ‘keeper getting his body in the way.

There was then another save for the FBT shotstopper as the ball bobbled to Trialist 9 in the box. He looked to turn his marker, with the effort taking a deflection before the ‘keeper pushed wide.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, the Iron won a free-kick on the right-hand-side just outside the box. Ben El-Mhanni took the free-kick, clearing the wall, but saw his effort cannon off the outside of the post and go wide, despite the 'keeper being routed to the spot.

FBT came forward with less than ten minutes remaining as they pushed for a consolation effort, with Trialist 7 forced to track back and block a goal bound effort. His good defending saw a corner awarded.

On 84 minutes, first-year scholar Fin Shrimpton came on for Trialist 7 for the Iron in their second alteration of the encounter.

With two minutes remaining Jessop showed some of his strength to force his way through the midfield. As he advanced towards the area, he rolled the ball towards the far corner, but saw the 'keeper make a smart stop down to his left.

The last kick of the game saw FBT pull one goal back as a move in the centre saw a ball played over the top into the area. The striker took one touch to control and one to fire into the back of the net leaving Kelsey with no chance.

IRON: Kelsey, Ben El-Mhanni, Hornshaw, Bedeau, Pugh, Barks, Chadli (Jessop, 46), Rowe, Trialist 7 (Shrimpton, 84), Trialist 9, Trialist 10.

(To avoid confusion in the coverage, the Trialist’s numbers correspond to the shirt number they’re wearing.)

Advertisement block