Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron XI 1-2 Sheffield United XI

29 April 2019

An Iron team comprising of six trialists were narrowly edged out 2-1 by a Sheffield United XI at Glanford Park.

The match saw Rory Watson play the first 45 minutes, which was pre-planned, as the goalkeeper returned following eight months out with injury.

The first chance of the evening came the way of the Blades’ Number 8, who was played into the area but saw his volleyed clip easily gathered by Watson.

Soon after, the former Hull goalkeeper claimed the ball quickly after the visiting Number 10 was played into the area.

The ninth minute saw the Blades launch a quick counter-attack, and Watson made a great instant reactive stop as he kept out a header at point-blank range.

Two minutes later, there was a chance for United as two of the trialists combined to play the ball to Hornshaw, who shot from the edge of the area but the effort went wide of the Blades goalkeeper’s left-hand post.

The visitors took the lead on 13 minutes as their Number 10 attacked towards the 18-yard box and played in their Number 11, who shot first time across goal from the left and beyond the reach of Watson.

Three minutes after, the visitors pressed forward again and their Number 4 received the ball 25 yards out before firing well over. They soon got another chance as their Number 9’s header was blocked by Trialist 5.

The 19thminute saw a great chance for the Iron as Jacob Bedeau drove forward from the centre of defence and the ball fell to the feet of Trialist 10, who fired an effort from the edge of the area which bounced back into play off the woodwork.

Two minutes after that, the Blades could have added to their tally but a shot from the edge of the area was sent wide, with Watson having it covered.

Soon after, there was a great block from George Hornshaw as the visitors pressed again and looked to add to their advantage, The ball was then played out wide before the cross evaded everyone and went out for a goal-kick.

With half an hour on the clock, the Iron played the ball across from the right side of the area, It reached Trialist 7 on the edge of the box, but his ball into the area drifted out for a goal kick.

The 32ndminute saw the Blades double their advantage as their Number 10 received the ball from the left side and calmly placed the ball beyond the reach of Watson and into the net.

The final chance of the half saw Trialist 4 curl the ball towards goal from the edge of the area, with a free-kick, but it was cleared away.

Watson was replaced by Adam Kelsey at the break, and the first opportunity of the second period came the Blades’ way when Trialist 5 made a great block from the away side’s Number 10, who had unleased a shot. The ball was then cleared.

On 53 minutes, their Number 6’s right-wing cross was headed across goal by the Blades’ Number 10, but there was nobody there to turn the ball in and the Iron cleared.

Scunthorpe had a good chance in the 61stminute when Trialist 4 sent a free-kick into the box from around the halfway line and aimed for Trialist 7. However, his attempt to hook the ball into the danger area went over.

The Blades quickly broke and their Number 16 attacked down the left, curling over the crossbar from the left side of the 18-yard box after cutting inside.

The Iron won a right-wing corner in the 68th minute, which was swung in to the back post by Trialist 4. It reached the head of Trialist 10, whose looping header was cleared off the line by the Blades, and then cleared.

After good play by the Blades’ Number 11 down the left on 69 minutes, he eventually played it back to their Number 14, whose powerful shot was deflected behind for a corner. The ball eventually came back into the box and Jai Rowe cleared.

On 71 minutes, the away side’s Number 8 won back possession and drove towards goal before firing an effort wide of Kelsey’s right corner from the edge of the 18-yard box.

With 15 minutes left, Trialist 9 picked up the ball just inside the opposition half and looked to play in Trialist 10, but the ball was retrieved by the Blades and cleared.

There was then a double Scunthorpe change as Trialists 3 and 4 were replaced by academy players Luca Chadli and Finley Shrimpton.

United soon attacked down the right, with Trialist 7 accelerating down that side of the 18-yard box before sending a shot in which went over.

On 86 minutes, the away side came close to a third. Following a short period of pressure, the ball eventually arrived to their Number 8, who curled his strike from 15 yards just wide of Kelsey’s right-hand post.

The Iron pulled a goal back with three minutes left as Trialist 7 attacked down the right and dragged the ball back for Trialist 9 on the edge of the area, who swept the ball into the far corner.

United pushed late on as they chased an equaliser but the Blades emerged victorious.

Scunthorpe United: Watson (Kelsey, 46), Rowe, Trialist 5, Bedeau, Trialist 3 (Chadli, 76), Hornshaw, Trialist 4 (Shrimpton, 76), Trialist 7, Silva, Trialist 9, Trialist 10.

To avoid confusion in the coverage, the Trialists' numbers correspond to the shirt number they’re wearing.

Advertisement block