Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-3 Bradford City

27 April 2019

Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-3 Bradford City

27 April 2019

The Iron have lost 3-2 to Bradford City this afternoon at Glanford Park.

Three early goals from Billy Clarke, Jermaine Anderson and Eoin Doyle were scored by the visitors, before Kyle Wootton and Lee Novak got a couple back for Scunthorpe in the second-half.

The Iron made one change going into the match against Bradford, with Kevin van Veen replacing George Thomas.

It was a bright start for the Iron, who tested Braford goalkeeper Ben Wilson within the first minute. Josh Morris aimed for the bottom right corner from 25-yards, but Wilson dived to push the ball behind for a corner-kick.

However just one minute later, Bradford took a 1-0 lead. The away side hit the Iron on the break from the corner and Clarke’s strike from the edge of the area deflected into the bottom corner.

The Bantams then doubled their lead 12 minutes into the match when Anderson came inside from the left-wing and scored. The midfielder hit a driven shot from 20-yards out which went into the back of the net.

Three minutes later, Bradford went 3-0 up. Sean Scannell delivered a cross from the left side and Doyle’s glancing header nestled into the bottom right corner.

Anderson looked to increase Bradford’s advantage again, but Alnwick made a smart stop to hold the ball.

Just before half-time Scannell entered the Iron’s box and tried to curl the ball into the bottom right corner, but his effort just bounced wide.

In stoppage time, Morris lined up a free-kick, which he managed to curl around the wall, but Wilson was well positioned to gather the ball into his chest.

Wootton replaced van Veen at half-time and was involved shortly after the game restarting. The striker laid the ball back to Clayton Lewis, who drilled a shot wide of the target. 

In the 62nd minute, Morris charged forward with the ball and played Wootton through, who beat the offside trap and saw his effort deflect behind for a corner.

From the following corner, Adam Hammill’s delivery was met by captain Rory McArdle and his header was saved by Wilson, tipping the ball over the bar.

The Iron continued their pressure and got themselves a goal back in the 64th minute. Morris took a corner from the left-side and Wootton got his head on the ball to score from close-range.

Looking for another goal, a deep free-kick was put into Bradford’s box and it fell to Matthew Lund, but his effort was charged down and diverted over the bar for a corner.

Morris then had a chance from the corner. The ball dropped to the winger 12-yards out, but he lifted his shot over the crossbar. 

The attacker then tried an effort from a free-kick, which required Wilson to make a good save. 

The Iron then got another goal back to make it 3-2 with ten minutes remaining. Excellent play for the Iron saw Morris play a good pass into Novak, who lifted his shot over Wilson from close range before it dropped into the goal.

Hammill had a late free-kick deflected out for a corner and from the resulting set-piece, Wotton had an effort cleared off the line.

The Iron will travel to Plymouth Argyle for the last match of the season.

Scunthorpe United: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson, Webster (Thomas, 86’), Ojo (Lund, 31’), van Veen (Wootton, 46’), Morris, Perch, Lewis, Novak, McArdle, Hammill.
Substitutes not used: Flatt, Sutton, McGahey, Hallam.

Bradford City: Wilson, P O’Connor, A O’Connor, Doyle, Scannell, Devine, Clarke (Colville, 46’), Anderson, O’Brien, Mellor, Woods (Caddis, 74’).
Substitutes not used: O’Donnell, Wright, Butterfield, Payne, Miller.

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge.

Attendance: 4,528.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account