Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-0 Wolves U21s (4-2 on pens)

4 September 2018

The 2018/19 Checkatrade Trophy got underway as the Iron hosted Wolverhampton Wanderers U21’s in a 0-0 draw after ninety minutes in the first round of fixtures at Glanford Park.

With the scoreline finishing level, the tie was settled on penalties as Scunthorpe came out on top winning 4-2 on spot-kicks to earn two points in total after both teams earnt one following the full-time whistle. 

Stuart McCall made six changes from the team that drew with Accrington at the weekend with Jonathan Flatt, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, James Horsfield, Andy Dales, Charlie Goode and Ryan Colclough all coming into the side. Jak Alnwick, James Perch, Funso Ojo, Lee Novak, Rory McArdle and George Thomas all made way.

The Iron got the ball rolling and had the first chance of the game inside five minutes when Colclough played Josh Morris in down the left flank. The winger unleashed a shot after he cut into the box, but his effort was blocked and cleared away from danger. 

Moments later, and the away side had their first opportunity of the game when Ryan Giles sprinted down the left-hand side before he fired his shot over the bar, untroubling Flatt in the Scunthorpe goal. 

Sadou Diallo and Oskar Buur then linked up well in the attacking third before the latter spread the ball to Andrew Harris-Sealey, who couldn’t keep his shot down and blazed over the top of the crossbar.

11 minutes in and United looked to apply pressure on the visitors with the first shot on target. Colclough picked up possession inside the area on the left before he struck a well hit shot that was gathered smartly by Will Norris in the Wolves goal. 

After 17 minutes, Wolves had a wonderful chance to take the lead when Giles whipped in a teasing cross from the left but neither Benny Ashley-Seal or Harris-Sealey could get on the end of it and danger was averted. 

Two corners in quick succession on the 20th minute mark then provided chances for the Iron. First, a short corner worked its way to Morris on the edge of the area, who struck a shot that the goalkeeper parried away before the resulting set-piece was cleared only as far as Horsfield, but he fired wide of the target.  

Scunthorpe continued to look dangerous from a dead ball situation when Morris hit a free-kick from the edge of the area in the 32nd minute that was well struck, but Norris comfortably held onto the ball.  

Ashley-Seal then had a shot blocked for the away side when he picked up the ball before he cut it back onto his left-foot, but Dales did well to get his body in the way of the strike that was heading on target. 

That proved to be the last attack of the half as the teams entered the break goalless with both sides cancelling each other out. 

Following the break, the visitors looked to mount pressure. Niall Ennis gained possession in the centre of the pitch before he drove towards the penalty area and shot but his effort on goal was caught by Flatt.  

Shortly after, Ashley-Seal got hold of the ball again before he released a low shot on target that was brilliantly saved by Flatt who spread himself well to narrow the angle and block. The rebound then fell to Ennis but Cameron Burgess got in the way to avert the shot away from goal.

United then attacked themselves. Matthew Lund sent a cross in towards Colclough, but it was well defended by the Wolves back-line. The consequent corner was whipped in and found Stephen Humphrys who controlled the ball but couldn’t find the target in the 60th minute. 

After 62 minutes, Flatt was required again as Giles sent a ball into the box from the left that swung in towards goal, but the goalkeeper palmed it away with the follow-up effort from Harris-Searley also well saved after a deflection could have steered the ball into another path.

On the 73rd minute mark, Giles received the ball on the left and controlled before he drilled his effort low towards the far post that beat Flatt, but Burgess was there on the line to clear the ball away to stop a certain goal. 

As the match entered the last ten minutes, the game opened up with a chance for either side in a matter of minutes. First, the Iron won a free-kick midway inside the opposition half which George Hornshaw delivered into the area with Burgess winning the flick-on before Norris punched clear. 

Wolves then broke quickly on the counter attack through Harris-Searley who carried the ball towards goal and unleashed a powerful left-footed shot, but his effort flew over the crossbar. 

Charlie Goode then nearly broke the deadlock from a United corner in the 88th minute when Hornshaw crossed to the far post. The central defender rose highest, but the keeper was equal to the header and impressively tipped the ball over the crossbar. 

Neither side could find the winning goal as both teams earned a point at Glanford Park, but the Iron settled the tie on penalties, coming out as eventual winners 4-2 to win the extra bonus point.  

Scunthorpe United: Flatt, Clarke (Perch, 45), Borthwick-Jackson, Lund, Horsfield, Humphrys (Wootton, 73), Morris (Hornshaw, 75), Dales, Goode, Burgess, Colclough.
Substitutes not used: Alnwick, Lewis, Butroid.

Wolverhampton Wanderers U21s: Norris, Giles, Ashley-Seal, Goncalves, Buur, Diallo, Ennis, John, Kilman, Molberg, Harris-Sealey (Alves, 87).
Substitutes not used: Beasley, Crabtree, Perry, Samuels, O’Sulivan, Thompson.

Referee: Thomas Bramall.

Attendance: 874.

Advertisement block