Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster Rovers XI 2-4 Iron XI

25 September 2018

An Iron XI came back from two goals down at half-time to defeat a Doncaster Rovers side 4-2 away from home in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday afternoon.

George Thomas, Stephen Humphrys (two) and Kyle Wootton scored the goals as all the players involved received valuable game time.

United started brightly and had the first chance as Humphrys intercepted a Rovers defender before charging down the right and playing square. The ball was cleared though but the Iron won a free-kick. From it, Thomas curled an in-swinger and Rory McArdle’s glancing header dropped just wide of the post.

The home shotstopper was then forced into a save on seven minutes as Thomas played Wootton in. He then back-heeled the ball back to the Leicester loanee, whose shot was well saved.

A minute later, Scunthorpe came close again as a Wootton shot was blocked. Andy Dales then picked up the ball on the right, drove into the area and cut to Humphrys, who saw his effort denied by the goalkeeper.

12 minutes in, the hosts went ahead following a well-worked move. The ball was played over to the left side, with the ball checked back for the cross into the area. The forward met the header, glancing the ball across goal and into the corner.

The Iron looked to get back into it, and McArdle flicked the ball just wide at the near post following a right-wing corner on 22 minutes.

George Hornshaw played the ball to Dales four minutes later, and the winger attacked into the area before Humphrys picked up the ball and fired over from 25 yards.

There was then good play from the Iron involving Thomas, who drove down the right before feeding Dales. He and Humphrys both interchanged for the latter to draw the ‘keeper into a fine save but the Iron forward was flagged offside.   

The hosts get a second goal in the 34th minute. A left-winged cross was curled in with the header cannoning off the inside of the post. A rebound was put in from five yards and allowed to stand, despite looking offside.

Three minutes later, there was good defending from Levi Sutton as he headed away from between the goalposts from six yards out. The ball fell to a Rovers midfielder, but Jonathan Flatt saved the effort from 20 yards.

In the 38th minute, there was a chance for the Iron to halve the deficit. The ball found Wootton up front. The ‘keeper narrowed the angle, but the forward squeezed in a shot, which went just over the crossbar.

There was one final United chance before the break, as Hornshaw spreaded play to the right for Sutton. He fizzed the ball low to Dales on the edge of the box, who took one touch to control before firing an effort across goal and wide of the target.

Four minutes into the second period, Scunthorpe halved the deficit through Thomas. Hornshaw’s brilliant ball through the middle found the loanee, who slotted home at the second time of asking following a fine save. 

United were then level on 51 minutes as Dales got the ball on the left, shrugged off two defenders before finding Humphrys from 20 yards. The Fulham loanee’s second touch saw him drill into the bottom corner.

A minute later, there was almost a third for the Iron. Dales got the ball 30 yards from goal and fired a spectacular effort, which just cleared the crossbar.

With 54 minutes on the clock, the away side went ahead as Humphrys got his second. Substitute Clayton Lewis fired the ball forward, Humphrys retained possession and struck into the bottom corner, leaving the goalkeeper with no chance.

Four minutes later, Wootton fired over the crossbar from 30 yards after a forward pass was held by Humphrys and then laid off to the former academy product.

On 59 minutes, Dales went it alone from inside his own half, driving through two challenges before beating the final defender. The Rovers goalkeeper narrowed the angle, and the former Mickleover man fired wide from 18 yards.

Substitute Tom Pugh immediately got involved five minutes later, attacking down the left and finding Dales, who saw his effort deflected for a corner. There was then a great save from the home shostopper, who turned the ball over the bar from close range following Wootton’s close range header from the corner.

Seeking a hat-trick, Humphrys then drew the goalkeeper into another stop as he controlled and swung an effort goalwards with his left foot.

Wootton got Scunthorpe’s fourth in the 74th minute. The move started with Hornshaw, who nipped in to win the ball and spreaded play to Thomas, He found Humphrys, who saw his shot hit Wootton and divert into the net. 

Humphrys hit the crossbar on 81 minutes. Wootton won a free-kick on the right-side of the area, with the on-loan man firing over the wall, beating the goalkeeper but seeing the ball cannon back into play.

He had a final chance for his treble six minutes later, controlling the ball on the edge of the area and guiding a bicyle kick towards the top corner but somehow seeing it pushed over the crossbar.

Team: Flatt, Sutton (Lewis, 45), Clarke (Pugh, 61), McArdle, Butroid, Horsfield, Hornshaw, Thomas, Dales, Humphrys, Wootton.

Advertisement block