Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rotherham United 2-0 Iron

16 May 2018

The Iron's season has come to an end following a 2-0 defeat to Rotherham United in the second leg of the play-off semi-final at the New York stadium.

Goals from captain Richard Wood and midfielder Will Vaulks saw Rotherham progress to play Shrewsbury in the play-off final with a 4-2 win on aggregate in a game that saw Scunthorpe captain Rory McArdle sent off in the second half.

Nick Daws made two changes from the side that drew 2-2 in the semi-final first leg with Rory Watson and Marnick Vermijl replacing the injured duo of Matt Gilks and Jordan Clarke.

The Iron got the game underway and won the first set piece of the match inside three minutes, Josh Morris played the ball short to Conor Townsend who tried his luck but his shot was charged down quickly by the Rotherham defence.

Scunthorpe started brightly, a dangerous looking free-kick from the left was sent towards the back post from Hakeeb Adelakun, which was cleared but only as far as Duane Holmes, whose shot on goal was blocked. A faint appeal for handball in the process was waved away by referee Scott Duncan.

In the 19th minute, United registered the first shot on target, a pass inside to Holmes from Townsend allowed the midfielder to carry the ball forwards and slot Adelakun in whose shot forced Marek Rodak into a save. The goalkeeper was then able to gather the ball before a Scunthorpe player could pounce on the rebound.

Rotherham then mounted an attack of their own, but great defending from Ryan Yates stopped Ryan Williams from getting a shot on goal as the midfielder made sure he charged the ball down as the hosts appealed for a penalty of their own as Williams went down in the area under the challenge.

Minutes later, the home side were on the attack again, a cross into the box was steered away for a corner. The resulting set piece was whipped across the six-yard-box with the ball bouncing around and Watson did well to turn the ball round the post for another corner that came to nothing.

The Millers then almost took the lead in the 37th minute through Richie Towell but a brilliant fingertip save from Watson at full stretch prevented the ball from flying into the top right corner of the net.

In the two minutes of added time at the end of the first half, Matt Palmer had a shot that called Watson into action again with Rory McArdle hooking the ball away.

Rotherham then did take the lead. A long throw was aimed towards captain Richard Wood in the penalty area who headed home to put the Millers ahead at half-time.

Shortly after the restart, the Iron looked to bounce back, Holmes found himself through on goal after an Ivan Toney pass set him free, but a heavy touch allowed Rodak to come and collect.

On the 63rd minute, the home side doubled their lead courtesy of Will Vaulks who converted into bottom left corner after the ball fell kindly to him when a cross from the right was only cleared as far as the midfielder.

Scunthorpe looked to hit back quickly like they did in the first leg, a Morris cross was flashed across the face of goal which found Toney on the slide but Wood was there to prevent the ball from going in.

United continued to press, the ball found it's way to Morris on right inside the penalty area, who squared to Toney who spun and shot but a sea of red and white shirts surrounded him and Rotherham were able to clear the danger.

Substitute Cameron McGeehan then had a chance to score when another Morris cross was played in, but the attacker headed wide of the post.

77 minutes in and the Iron were reduced to ten men when captain Rory McArdle was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

The Millers looked to score again but Watson denied Jon Taylor at the back post before the corner was played in and eventually scrambled clear.

It was then the Iron’s turn to attack, McGeehan’s effort was saved by Rodak after he did well to beat his man. Rodak had to be alert again moments later to palm Holmes’ shot away who did well to create himself a goal scoring opportunity on the right by cutting inside.

In the seven minutes of time added on in the second half, Scunthorpe couldn't find a way to get back into the game and they fell to a 2-0 defeat on the night.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Emmanuel, Mattock, Vaulks, Wood, Palmer, Towell, Ihiekwe (Ajayi 52), Newell (Forde 89), Williams (Taylor 68), Smith.
Substitutes not used: Price, Ball, Purrington, Lavery.

Scunthorpe United: Watson, Townsend, Wallace, Ojo, Toney (Novak 80), Morris, Adelakun (McGeehan 62), Vermijl, Holmes, McArdle, Yates (Hopper 83).
Substitutes not used: Kelsey, Bishop, Burgess, Sutton.

Attendance: 11,061 (1,202 away).

Advertisement block