Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Gillingham 0-0 Iron

26 September 2017

The Iron drew 0-0 against Gillingham at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Tuesday night.


Alexander reacts to point at Gillingham

26 September 2017

In a game of limited chances, United nearly found a winner late on, but it wasn’t to be with the points being shared.

Manager Graham Alexander named one change to the starting eleven that beat Portsmouth 2-0. Tom Hopper came into the side to replace Lee Novak, who started on the bench.

The home side were on the attack early in the game. Neat play by Jake Hessenthaler set off Elliot List on the right wing, flashing a driven cross into the box for Sean Clare, but it evaded him and ran through everyone, with the Iron clearing the ball.

In the 18th minute, the Iron had a half-chance. Tom Hopper won a header, flicking it on for his strike partner Paddy Madden, who tried an audacious volley from the right corner of the area, with the ball going wide of the post.

On the left flank, Josh Morris skipped past a defender before laying it back to Hopper inside the penalty area. However, the striker was quickly closed down as he pulled the trigger.

Before the break, Alex Lacey was very close to putting the Kent side 1-0 up. A cross wasn’t dealt with by the Iron defence, with the ball racing through to the far post and, on the stretch, the defender put his effort over the crossbar.

At the start of the second-half, the Iron defence were alert to block out Gillingham a couple of times. Jordan Clarke was first to get his head on the ball, before List had a shot blocked by McArdle.

Up the other end, a cross found its way to Duane Holmes at the far post. He controlled the ball and steadied himself, before firing a low shot at Thomas Holy, who managed to close his legs in time to prevent the ball from going into the net.

Mark Byrne then tried his luck with a volley from the edge of the box, but it was comfortable for Gilks to save.

Trying to find an opening goal, the Iron advanced with Morris on the left. The winger drilled his effort straight at Holy, though. Morris then crossed for Novak moments later, however the substitute couldn’t turn the ball away.

Novak was involved again shortly after. He attempted to lob from Holy from range, but his attempt sailed wide of the right post.

In the 83rd minute, the Iron were inches away from a goal. Morris curled in a corner, with Murray Wallace running in and heading wide.

Hakeeb Adelakun twisted and turned outside of the area, before clipping a ball into Hopper, who shifted the ball onto his left and forcing a smart save from Holy.

Just before the 90th minute, Jesse Starkey had a shot which was deflected inches over Gilks’ bar.

That was to be the final moment, with the game ending 0-0.

Gillingham: Holy, O’Neill (Parker), Lacey, Ehmer, Zakuani (c), Hessenthaler, Ogilvie, Nugent, List (69’, Nash), Clare (46’, Starkey), Byrne.
Substitutes not used: Arnold, Oldaker, Simpson, Cundle.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Wallace, Ojo (62’, Mantom), Madden (62’, Novak), Morris, Bishop, Hopper, Holmes (85’, Adelakun), McArdle (c), Butroid.
Substitutes not used: Watson, Crofts, van Veen, Burgess.

Attendance: 4,002 (158 away).

Advertisement block