Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Iron

17 September 2017

The Iron were victorious in their derby game against Doncaster Rovers on Sunday winning 1-0.


Alexander on an excellent win at Doncaster

17 September 2017

Graham Alexander made one change to the side that lost 1-0 to Blackburn Rovers as Jordan Clarke returned to the side to replace Levi Sutton.

Lee Novak gave the Iron that all-important goal with a headed effort from a corner. Josh Morris sent an in-swinging ball into the centre of the box and the new signing connected perfectly with it to send the ball into the back of the net for his first goal in claret and blue.

Both teams looked lively from the off but Rovers were first to get a shot on goal five minutes into the game. A corner ball was put into the centre of the box and it took Matt Gilks’ fingertips to nudge the effort over the crossbar.

Only a couple of minutes later, Morris did fantastically to skip past Matty Blair and win a corner. That corner led to another and the next corner saw a first goal for Novak.   

The home side looked dangerous from set-pieces at stages in the first half. In the 27th minute, a ball into the box found Joe Wright’s head who just couldn’t find the target. Not long after, Niall Mason received the ball on the edge of the box and hammered a shot at goal but it was nothing that the Iron defence couldn’t handle. Rory McArdle was quick to put himself in the way of the ball.

Tommy Rowe was the next to try, as he dribbled his way into a dangerous position on the left flank. He fired a shot at goal and it found its way to Andy Williams. However, it was too powerful and high for the striker to control.

Home captain James Coppinger came close with an effort from just outside the 18-yard box in the 35th minute. He sent a driven strike at goal but it went wide of the left post.

Despite late pressure, the Iron defence looked solid and comfortable clearing anything coming their way and they managed to hold onto their 1-0 lead going into half-time.

John Marquis had Doncaster’s best chance of the game only four minutes into the second-half. He was given the ball at the back post and chose to shoot. The strike looked to be going in but then rattled off the post and away from danger.

However, they were soon back as Andy Williams found a way past the Iron defence and went one-on-one with Gilks. He went for a rising effort but it continued to rise over the bar.

Novak wanted to add to his tally. He went for a more spectacular finish on the edge of the box after 57 minutes. However, it was deflected and went wide for a corner.

The Iron showed good link-up play up front, especially down the wings. Duane Holmes was energetic, chasing down any loose balls on the right wing, and played Conor Townsend through on the left-flank in the 62nd minute. He put in a floated cross but the ‘keeper was the first to it.

In the 67th minute, Blair wanted a chance of his own. The Rovers man ran at the Iron defence and into the centre of the 18-yard line. He fired a shot at goal but couldn't find the back of the net.

Alfie May created chances on the left flank, one of which could have put Rovers back into the game with just over 15 minutes left to play. He ran the wing and played it across to Rowe, who was waiting just inside the box. He had a shot at goal but once again it went just wide of the goal.

At the 81st minute, Hopper was fouled 25 yards from goal. Morris was the man to stand over it and he forced a brilliant save out of Ian Lawlor to keep out the effort. It looked to be heading towards the crossbar but the Rovers ‘keeper dived to hit it over.

With two minutes left to play, Morris showed a passion for more as he took on the Rovers defenders on the left-flank. After putting the ball through the legs of one he went past another and his cross was intercepted. However, he kept running after that and won a corner for the Iron. The midfielder took the corner and sent it in towards Murray Wallace, who headed it and was denied by the crossbar.

There were five additional minutes played and Doncaster applied continuous pressure to try and steal a point but the Iron hung on.

Doncaster Rovers: Lawlor, Mason, Wright, Butler, Blair, Kongolo, Whiteman, Rowe, Coppinger, Marquis (Mandeville, 74’), Williams (Williams, 58).
Unused Substitutes: Marosi, Alcock, Garratt, Toffolo, Ben Khemis.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Townsend, Wallace, Ojo (Burgess, 90’), Madden (Hopper, 74’) , Morris, Bishop, Novak, Holmes (Mantom, 69’), McArdle (c).
Unused Substitutes: Watson, van Veen, Adelakun, Sutton.

Attendance: 9,227 (1,898 away).

Advertisement block