Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rotherham United 2-0 Iron

14 October 2017

The Iron were beaten 2-0 by Rotherham United in Sky Bet League One on Saturday.

A tremendous first-half goal from Will Vaulks set the Millers on their way. Kieffer Moore doubled their lead in the second-half with a simple finish inside the area.

Manager Graham Alexander made four changes to his starting eleven from last weekend’s defeat against Wigan. Andrew Crofts was given his debut for the Iron, and Conor Townsend made his return to the side following his injury.

Inside the opening three minutes, Scunthorpe had their first opportunity of the game. Duane Holmes did well to win the ball and drove forward before passing to Paddy Madden on the right, however his strike was straight at Richard O’Donnell.

They were on defensive duty six minutes later. David Ball played a brilliant throughball into Moore, but captain Rory McArdle made an important tackle just as the striker was about to shoot.

Matt Gilks was then called into action in the 12th minute. The ball came out to Ryan Williams, flicking it up for himself, before striking a dipping volley towards the goal. The Iron’s shotstopper made a fine save to keep the scores level.

Moments later, the Iron defence managed to keep out a number of attempts from a Rotherham corner. Novak was back in his box to block the Millers’ best couple of chances.

Gilks made another great stop in the 18th minute. Anthony Forde cut onto his right foot and curled an effort to the far corner, but the ‘keeper parried it away from danger.

In the 25th minute, following his goal last weekend, Funso Ojo pulled the trigger again. However, his effort was deflected just wide of the right post.

Madden was presented with a great chance in the 33rd minute. Jordan Clarke curled a brilliant cross into the area for the Irish striker and his header was expertly stopped by O’Donnell from close range.

However, it was the home side who scored the game’s first goal in the 36th minute. The Millers played a corner short to Will Vaulks, who sent the ball into the top right corner in stunning fashion from 25-yards out, giving his side a 1-0 lead.

The Iron looked for a response just before half-time. Holmes adventured forward with the ball, laying it to Josh Morris in the box, but his left-footed strike was palmed away by the goalkeeper out for a corner.

After the break, it was Morris again to have the next chance. He chose to go alone and forced a smart save out of O’Donnell low to his left.

Seconds later, left-back Townsend struck the left post from range. He controlled the ball before curling an effort onto the woodwork with the goalkeeper getting the slightest of fingers on it. Madden tried to pounce on the rebound but he was flagged for offside by the assistant referee.

Not for the first time in the game, there was more heroic defending from McArdle. Moore headed down towards the goal, but the Iron defender managed to turn the ball over his own crossbar to prevent a second Rotherham goal.

The Millers again nearly got their second goal of the game when Williams charged forward and drilled a shot, but Gilks quickly reacted to push the ball over his crossbar with a diving stop.

In the 70th minute, Scunthorpe were on the attack. Townsend danced his way into the area with his strike being blocked, but the loose ball dropped for Holmes who controlled and struck a shot inches over the bar from outside of the box.

However, one minute later, the Millers went 2-0 up. Ball entered the box and he passed it across goal for Moore to have the easy job and tap it home.

Richie Towell was inches away from getting a third goal for his side. Murray Wallace headed out a Rotherham corner and, with a side-footed volley, Towell’s shot just went over.

In the 87th minute, Hakeeb Adelakun was played in on the left and his shot from a very tight angle was parried by the goalkeeper. Fellow substitute Sam Mantom couldn’t direct his headed rebound towards goal, with the ball going out for a goal kick.

That was the last big action of the game, with Rotherham the 2-0 winners.

Rotherham United: O’Donnell, Mattack, Vaulks, Wood (c), Forde (Ajayi, 82’), Ball (Newell, 76’), Towell, Ihiekwe, Williams, Moore (Clarke-Harris, 90+5’), Cummings.
Substitutes not used: Rodak, Emmanuel, Yates, Bray.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Townsend, Crofts (Mantom, 73’), Wallace, Ojo, Madden, Morris (Adelakun, 73’), Novak (van Veen, 78’), Holmes, McArdle (c).
Substitutes not used: Watson, Bishop, Burgess, Butroid.

Attendance: 9,167 (1,321 away).

Referee: Eddie Ilderton.

Click here to access our Rotherham v Iron match centre.

Advertisement block