Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Long Eaton United Under-18s 0-3 Iron Under-18s

2 November 2017

Match Reports

Report: Long Eaton United Under-18s 0-3 Iron Under-18s

2 November 2017

The Iron's Under-18s were 3-0 winners against Long Eaton United at Grange Park in the FA Youth Cup first round on Thursday night.

United took the lead from the penalty spot through David Allasan midway through the first half, and Louis Collins added to the scoreline early in the second period.

Shortly after that, Allasan slid home his second and Scunthorpe’s third to finish the scoring and seal the passage into the second round, where they will travel to Cambridge United on a date that is yet to be arranged.

Both sides tried to ‘feel’ their way into the game at the start, with chances limited during the opening exchanges.

The first chance of the game arrived in the opening 10 minutes, as McKintosh acrobatically met a free-kick but his effort drifted wide of the goal.

There was some neat play by the Iron, who saw Collins have a shot blocked before James Kalu struck an effort off target following work from Collins and Allasan.

United took the lead from the penalty spot through Allasan, despite a touch from the goalkeeper, on 20 minutes. It came after Bartholomew ran on to Porter’s ball over the top and nodded it forward before being clattered.

The home goalkeeper Nathan Jones made a brilliant save three minutes later, as he acrobatically tipped Allasan’s wickedly deflected cross over the crossbar with his fingertips.

The next real opportunity came three minutes before the half-time break, when Ewan Train’s cross found Kalu, whose volley was saved by the goalkeeper.

Just before the interval, Collins and Allasan combined for Hornshaw, who saw his effort deflected behind for a corner.

Four minutes after the break, there was a great chance for United as George Hornshaw did brilliantly on the edge of the box to tee up Allasan, whose low drive forced Jones into a fine save and Collins couldn’t convert the rebound from a very acute angle.

One minute later, Allasan floated a free-kick into the penalty area that the goalkeeper had to force over.

The home team had a goal ruled out on 52 minutes when Zak Goodson broke through and fired home, with the referee penalising him for handball. The whistle was blown a little while before he scored though.

Hornshaw then lashed a half-volley wide of goal on 54 minutes, following a Collins knockdown.

It was Collins who struck United’s second of the night in the 56th minute. Great awareness from Hornshaw saw him play in Allasan down the right. His shot was blocked, but Collins was left with an easy finish as he slotted into the net from close range.

The Iron’s third goal came four minutes later, as Kyle Porter emerged with the ball on halfway and slipped in Allasan down the right. He advanced before firing across goal and into the back of the net.

Substitute Joe Busby had an effort in the 62nd minute as he brought the ball down the left side before cutting onto his right foot and firing the ball wide of goal.

Just a minute later, Bartholomew picked out Collins with a brilliant pass that tricked the home defence. The Iron striker then looked to chip the goalkeeper, who clutched the ball.

On 64 minutes, Long Eaton were almost back in it, as Adam Kelsey made a tremendous point blank save from Sam Lilley, who saw the ball deflect towards goal off himself following a low, powerfully driven right-wing cross.

Collins came close again in the 67th minute, touching the ball just wide following a goalmouth scramble after Porter and Allasan had shot.

On 70 minutes, Busby saw an effort from the edge of the 18-yard box turned away by the goalkeeper following another well-worked Iron attack.

Five minutes later, there was great play from the Iron as Allasan unleashed Hornshaw with a back heel, but his effort stung the goalkeeper’s palms.

There were very few opportunities in the closing stages, as the game became stop-start and three Long Eaton players were booked for late challenges.

The hosts did have an attempt on goal in the 88th minute, but Kelsey saved comfortably from Zak Goodson’s header, as he got on the end of a cross from the right.

The referee soon blew his whistle and Scunthorpe travelled back to North Lincolnshire with three goals and a clean sheet to be pleased with.

Long Eaton United: Jones, Heartfield (Mannix, 46’), Rawson, Wheatley, McKintosh, Bestwick, Younis (Towle, 59’), Goodwin, Goodson, Beaken, Brittain (Shaw, 59’).
Substitutes not used: Goodall, Coupe.

Scunthorpe United: Kelsey, Pugh, Bartholomew, Hornshaw, Morfoot, Lilley, Allasan, Porter, Collins, Kalu (Okafor, 70’), Train (Busby, 55’).
Substitutes not used: Riches, Harrison, Colclough.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account