Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-0 Charlton Athletic

25 November 2017

A brace of Josh Morris wonder goals sealed a 2-0 win for United over Charlton Athletic on Saturday afternoon, making it six league wins in a row.


Photos: Charlton Athletic (H)

25 November 2017

The half-time substitute, returning from a two week injury lay-off, made a big impact on the game – firstly curling home a free-kick on 60 minutes and then adding a spectacular second three minutes later.

The Iron made two changes from the side that won at Bradford City in midweek, as Clayton Lewis and Paddy Madden came in for Duane Holmes and Lee Novak.

The first chance of the game came the way of the visiting team on five minutes as Mark Marshall latched onto a left-wing cross with acrobatics, but sent his effort wide.

There was then good play from the Iron two minutes later as Madden controlled the ball for Hakeeb Adelakun. Madden was involved later on, hooking goalwards with Hopper beaten to the ball by Addicks showstopper Ben Amos.

Both teams tried to probe and the next chance arrived the visiting team’s way as Marshall broke down the left and drew a brilliant stop from Gilks as he spread himself. Funso Ojo then cleared for a corner from which nothing came.

Jordan Clarke, as he tracked back, went tumbling down as Charlton broke on that attack and limped off shortly after, replaced by Duane Holmes.

The Iron had a penalty shout denied on 20 minutes, as Hopper went down in the area, but the referee Kevin Johnson waved play on.

Soon after, United brought the ball forward, with Lewis' forward pass intercepted, but the ball spun to Adelakun, with his volley spinning goalwards and saved by Amos.

On 27 minutes, Gilks was called into action, as he saved superbly from a close range header by Josh Magennis. Somehow, he got a touch and pushed the ball onto the post.

He made another great stop a minute later, diving to his left to push Ricky Holmes’ long range drive around the post.

The 30th minute saw Scunthorpe have a great chance of their own, as Madden crossed from the right and Hopper stooped low to get on the end of it. Amos parried away for a great save.

From the subsequent corner, United came close again as Neal Bishop went near post to get a flick on the corner, but the ball landed at the feet of a Charlton player.

With 37 minutes on the clock, Holmes' cross was dealt with by the Charlton defence before Bishop regained possession and crossed for Madden. His header was saved by Amos.

United came close again when Adelakun threatened just before half-time and looked like he was being pulled back in the area, but nothing was given and the away side managed to get the ball clear.

At the other end, Gilks made a save which gives the Addicks a corner, with the following effort over the bar from Magennis. 

There was one Scunthorpe change at the break, as Morris came on for Lewis.


Alexander: It’s about the group and they have been superb

25 November 2017

The 47th minute saw a first second-half chance for the Iron as Morris played inside, with the cross searching for Holmes. He controlled before sending a low effort goalwards which Amos did well to save.

Two minutes later, there was a chance for Charlton’s Magennis, as he controlled with his back to goal before turning and firing a 20-yard effort wide of the post.

On 58 minutes, Adelakun sent in a free-kick, won by Morris, but as the ball dropped for Bishop to have an effort on goal, the referee blew for an infringement.

Scunthorpe took the lead on 60 minutes, as Morris curled the first of his goals into the goalkeeper’s top right-hand corner from 25 yards, and Glanford Park erupted in celebration.

Three minutes later, he added his second, and the fans celebrated even more in awe of what they’d just witnessed. This time with his weaker right foot, the Iron’s No 11 cut inside and curled the ball into Amos’ top left-hand corner from 25 yards, but a position that was slightly more central than that for his first goal.

In the 71st minute, Wallace overlapped Morris on the left and sent his cross goalwards, with Amos only just keeping the ball in front of the goal line as momentum took him backwards.

There was a quiet ending to the game and no more chances of note, as United defended resolutely and also pressured in an attacking sense, probing and trying to add to their score.

Scunthorpe are next in action on Sunday, 3rd December when they visit Doncaster Rovers in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Scunthorpe United:
Gilks, Clarke (Holmes, 18), Wallace, Ojo, Madden, Bishop, Hopper, Lewis (Morris, 46), Adelakun (Crofts, 77), Burgess, McArdle.

Substitutes not used: Watson, Townsend, van Veen, Goode. 

Charlton Athletic: Amos, Bauer (Ahearne-Grant, 70), Dasilva, Forster-Caskey, Holmes, Kashi, Konsa, Magennis, Sarr, Solly, Marshall (Hackett-Fairchild, 86).

Substitutes not used: Aribo, Dijksteel, Dodoo, Jackson, Phillips.

Attendance: 4,307.

Referee: Kevin Johnson.

Click here to access our Iron v Charlton Athletic match centre.

Advertisement block