Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Cambridge United U18s 0-1 Iron U18s

14 November 2017

Scunthorpe United Under-18s are through to the third round of the FA Youth Cup after defeating Cambridge United 1-0 at the Cambs Glass Abbey Stadium.

The Iron took the lead just before half-time when Steven Shaw scored an own-goal. David Allasan fizzed an effort into the area, but the Cambridge defender could do nothing to stop the ball from going into his own net.

Professional development phase coach Andy Dawson made one change from their round one encounter against Long Eaton United. Joe Busby came into the side to replace Ewan Train.

The hosts Cambridge made a bright start to the game, forcing Adam Kelsey into a fine save. Prince Mutswunguma entered the box and played it to Sam Bennett, who saw his strike stopped by the Iron goalkeeper.

In the 18th minute, James Kalu got the Iron’s first shot away, but his effort was straight into the arms of Finley Iron.

Similarly, 18 minutes later, Joe Busby fired an effort straight at the goalkeeper, after good build-up play from Louis Collins and George Hornshaw.

Cambridge nearly took the lead through Sam Bennett, however Kelsey made a superb stop to keep the ball out of his net.

It was Scunthorpe that took the lead seconds before the half-time whistle. Allasan drilled a shot goalwards, but it bounced off Steven Shaw’s leg and the ball went into his own net.

After half-time, the Iron were on the attack looking for a second goal, but Allasan’s strike was deflected wide.

They continued their dominance into the second 45 minutes, however Hornshaw struck the ball at the ‘keeper, followed up by a similar effort from Kalu.

Allasan again was a threat for the Iron in the 59th minute. He put a dangerous ball into the box from the left but Busby couldn’t get his foot on it.

Six minutes later, there was another opportunity for Scunthorpe. This time it fell for Collins, who hit his shot over the bar.

Kalu could have doubled his side’s lead just before stoppage time, although the forward fired his effort well wide of the goal.

The Iron were then put under pressure in the dying stages of the game, when they had a free-kick 25 yards out. However, Ewan Train was focused to get the ball and sprint down the other end of the pitch to prevent a goal from Cambridge.

That was the last action, which saw the Under-18 side progress to the third round of the FA Youth Cup to face Chelsea away.

Cambridge United: Iron, Davies, Norville-Williams, Squire, Shaw, Goode, Bennett (Michael, 88’), Watkins (c), Neal (Hasani 56’), Worman, Mutswunguma (Johnson, 56’).
Substitutes not used: Foxall, Battersby.

Scunthorpe United: Kelsey, Pugh, Bartholomew, Hornshaw, Lilley, Morfoot, Allasan (Okafor, 74’) Porter (c), Collins, Kalu, Busby (Train, 85’).
Substitutes not used: Collins, Harrison, Jessop. 

Advertisement block