Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bradford City 1-2 Iron

21 November 2017

The Iron have recorded an impressive 2-1 win against Bradford City at the Northern Commercials Stadium


Photos: Bradford City (A)

21 November 2017

There was late drama towards the end of the first half, when Bradford took the lead courtesy of a wonder strike from Paul Taylor. However, Cameron Burgess headed United back into the game immediately after.

With around 20 minutes left, Hakeeb Adelakun won the game for the Iron, thanks to his free-kick strike from 25-yards out.

Manager Graham Alexander named an unchanged starting line-up from the side that defeated Northampton Town 3-0.

Within the opening two minutes, the Iron nearly had an opening goal. Captain Rory McArdle played it wide to Jordan Clarke, who unleashed a dipping strike from 35-yards, which Colin Doyle managed to palm over the crossbar.

Driven forward by Nicky Law, Bradford’s first attack came five minutes later. He laid it off to the right for Taylor, delivering a cross into the centre of the area, but McArdle deflected Charlie Wyke’s effort behind for a corner.

McArdle made a superb clearance inside his six-yard box when Alex Gilliead darted behind Murray Wallace and drilled a low cross into the area. The central defender was in the right place to prevent the ball from reaching Charlie Wyke, who would have had the goal at his mercy.

Following a quiet spell in the match, Tony McMahon tested Matt Gillks with a powerful shot from the right-side in the 27th minute. The Iron goalkeeper managed to beat it away for a corner kick.

McMahon then turned into the provider, with an inviting cross, but Romain Vincelot couldn’t get a good connection on his header, with it skimming off to the far side of the pitch.

Bradford were looking threatening again on the counter attack. Taylor attempted to break into the box, but Funso Ojo dug in deep to win the ball with a superb tackle, as the forward closed in on the goal.

Just before half-time, Taylor managed to score for the hosts and put them 1-0 up. He picked up the ball in the centre of the pitch and rifled a long effort into the top right corner.

However, there was still time for the Iron to get an equaliser and they did just that, when Burgess nodded the ball into the net to make it 1-1. Hakeeb Adelakun curled a delicate free-kick into the box from the left-side, the goalkeeper rushed off his line, and the centre-half rose the highest to head the ball into the goal.


Extra photos: Bradford City (A)

21 November 2017

Meanwhile, the Bantams had the very last chance of the first half, but Matthew Kilgallon lifted the ball over the bar from close range.

Diving to his left, Gilks made a terrific reaction save to palm away Law’s powerful header after the interval. 

At the other end, Paddy Madden tested substitute goalkeeper Rouven Sattelmaier in the 51st minute with a half-volley, but the shotstopper got down low to his right to gather the ball.

In the 62nd minute, Luke Hendrie looked to score an effort similar to Taylor’s earlier strike, but Gilks held onto the ball.

The Iron were only limiting the home side to long shots and that was the case when Taylor hit the ball from 30-yards, however it comfortably bounced into Gilks’ chest.

However, it was the Iron who managed to strike from range and hit the back of the net to lead 2-1. Adelakun stood over a free-kick towards the centre of the pitch and it bounced into the corner of the net, with Sattelmaier getting a slight hand on it.


Alexander on five league wins in a row

21 November 2017

The Iron were close to netting a third in the 73rd minute. Holmes played it down the line to Madden, who whipped a low ball into the opposition box, but the sliding Tom Hopper couldn’t get a connection on it.

Gilks made another important save in the 76th minute. Jack Reeves tried an effort from the edge of the area, it deflected off Wyke, changing the direction of the shot, but the goalkeeper was alert and collected the strike.

The opposing goalkeeper Sattelmaier then made a fantastic double save. Clarke received the ball on the right wing and his cross turned into a shot with the ‘keeper scrambling across his line to block the ball. He then quickly got back onto his feet to keep out Madden’s headed rebound.

Tom Hopper then looked to double the Iron’s advantage. He carried the ball into the box and as the angle was closing, he stabbed his shot wide.

In stoppage time, Gilks made an amazing stop to deny a driven Bradford City shot, with him beating the ball away from his goal-line.

That was the last bit of action, as the Iron hold out to win the game and return to Glanford Park with a massive three points.

Bradford City: Doyle (Sattelmaier, 46’), Reeves, Kilgallon, Vincelot (c), Law (Poleon, 81’), Wyke, Taylor, Gilliead, Hendrie (Robinson, 83’), Knight-Percival, McMahon.
Unused substitutes: Thompson, McCartan, Pybus, Patrick.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Wallace, Ojo, Bishop, Hopper, Adelakun (Goode, 78’), Novak (Madden, 43’), Holmes (Townsend, 74’), Burgess, McArdle (c).
Unused substitutes: Watson, Crofts, van Veen, Lewis.

Attendance: 19,163 (476 away).

Referee: Scott Duncan.

Click here for our Bradford City v Iron match centre.

Advertisement block